Achieving Infinite Replayability

You should elaborate on why you think that so people can discuss with you

Well the game has a lot of progression, whether it’s the ranking system or the leveling system, players always feel like they’re progressing because after each match they could be rewarded with a rank up or a level up, once the players reach level 40 they’re able to redeem a badge and reset their level progress so they could level up for an even better badge.

It has non linear gameplay due to the fact that it has a lot of player to player interaction, each match is different and you could never accurately predict the outcome because you don’t know who you will be playing with nor who you will be matched up against, all of the players in the match have varying skill levels which makes for unique situations.

The game is very developer supported. There are a lot of updates that come every week or few which add new weapon skins, guns, maps, unlockables and other features that improve the game.

And of course the game is pretty much based around leaderboard and competition. CS GO is competition 24/7

I’d argue that FPS Games do have infinite replay-ability due to online. That being said though, there needs to be some sort of unlock system with or without levels. In CSGO, you’re playing for achieving higher ranks, which means your more skilled, and can have more bragging rights. In Call of Duty you’re playing for higher ranks which come with bragging rights and new guns. The fact you can make friends to play with along the way is also super helpful for social gamers (like myself.) I find I will be compelled to play games my friends play for the sake of being able to hang out with my friends and make fun memories together while enjoying the thing we ultimately love - video games.

1 Like

CSGO has no true content, other than gun skins and levels there’s not much there. Minimal amount of maps, and little variation in gameplay. Granted, people will be entertained by its competitiveness, but in my opinion its lacking infinite replayability. Just because it lacks it doesn’t mean its a bad game, it is after all second on top steam games.

1 Like

ah yes, oversimplifying subjects to fit inside of an article so that readers aren’t bored to death. I’m aware there’s many facets to this topic, but I wanted to provide a few pointers for game developers to take this article as a grain of salt. The devforums is a place where developers can discuss topics among themselves, critique others articles, and agree or disagree with others, not a place where people should go around implying that articles are a mistake and telling the author it shouldn’t exist.

1 Like

The game has thousands of community servers, each being different in their own unique ways. Different gamemodes, customs maps etc. The main goal of the game always remains the same, but I diasagree that it has little variation in gameplay as each match is played differently due to situations that come up mid-gameplay. To get better you need to learn the preset things like the weapon recoil factors, but most importantly you need to learn how to adapt to the many different and random gameplay situations that come up during each match which make the gameplay very varied.

CSGO has a ridiculous amount of content. Content doesn’t solely consist of maps and items. The mechanics have a lot of depth and subtlety, and the maps provide players with tons of options in the different ways the designers enable different strategies. And being exclusively pvp and having good matchmaking means there’s no shortage of gameplay variety. This is why it’s so popular.

4 Likes

… What?
Considering your response, I don’t think you read my post at all.

1 Like

Well it does give an overview of a few of the factors that are commonly used to achieve a lot of replayability, it would only really instruct people that have little to no understanding of how games work. But for people that have an understanding of how games work I would agree that it doesn’t do much for them.

Content is one type of depth, I love it, I love big sprawling RPG’s and complexly thought out worlds. But that’s just one type of depth.

No one is going to say Chess isn’t deep. It only has 6 piece types, 32 pieces to a game on an 8 x 8 grid with rules that can be taught in elementary school, but you can’t play 10 games of it and walk away thinking you’ve seen all there is to see. In chess the complex interaction between the simple pieces provides depth, and the unpredictability of the other player (or very complex AI) provides variety. Multiplayer FPS’s aim to provide the same type of depth/variety mix using relatively easy to grasp basic mechanics that enable complex interactions paired with unpredictable human opponents to provide variety.

If you were to play CSGO against simplistic, predictable bots it probably wouldn’t have much overall depth, just as playing Chess against a simple AI would quickly become dull, but against humans the depth is limited only by the constraints of the rules and your opponents cleverness and finesse in using those rules.

3 Likes

That’s a fair point, the human element opens up a whole lot more depth into almost any game and forces you to think even more about your own moves.

4 Likes