Action! In-Game Input Handler Plugin

(icon made by a friend of mine)

Aaand Action!

A paid in-game input handler that aims to save time setting up simple controls, easily making them customizable, and adapting UI to display those inputs.

• Easily create customizable keybinds for players… or not.
  • Set icons for specific inputs or even rename them for UI.
  • Automatically update players’ keybind settings to the server for easy saving.
  • Freely choose whether you want players to be able to assign a key to multiple actions or not.
  • (Honestly not sure why anyone would want this but) Bind multiple functions to each action.
  • You know, I thought there would be more on the list to be honest.

The point is you spend less time setting up input handling and more time making your keybinds do stuff, and the UI for it of course.

Video demonstrating how fast you can set up 2 basic actions (no customizable system):

If you want to read up on what all 16 functions do in the API there is a built-in documentation widget which will have everything written in text. However, I’ve made a tutorial video for using the interface and setting up a little customizable keybinds demo at the end.

Interface tutorial video:

16 Likes

Action Priorities

Added a priority setting for each action. If multiple actions have the same key assigned then the actions with the highest priority, which are also enabled, will trigger only (can still trigger multiple actions if they have the same priority).

For example, if I had an action for opening my inventory with a priority of 0 and an action for opening a chest nearby with a priority of 1, both being assigned to the key “E”. Then when I press “E” if the chest action is enabled it will only trigger the chest action but if the chest action is disabled then it will trigger the inventory action.

Next Small Update

Next update I’d like to introduce action groups, which will allow you to easily enable/disable multiple actions at once. I see this being useful for combat as an example, if you have multiple actions for different attacks then when your character gets stunned you can disable the group with all those attack actions.

I currently feel a little burnt out since I’ve been working on a game non-stop so updates may be very slow.

Yeah, I also wanted to bump this post.

4 Likes

This look’s like such a cool and useful plugin. When I have enough money, I’ll surely buy it!

2 Likes

Thank you! That means a lot to me.

2 Likes

love this plugin so far!! i think it would be nice though if actions passed through the gameProccessedEvent parameter, since usually when using InputBegan you’d want to ignore it so actions dont trigger when the player is typing in chat for example
i’m definitely gonna use this in future projects though, well worth the $9.99

1 Like

I’m glad you like the plugin! I’ve just updated it to pass the gameProcessedEvent parameter, thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it a lot.

2 Likes

Action Groups

Finally added action groups, so sorry it took so long I really have no excuse for it.

To open the action groups menu go to the settings section and click the arrow on the right of “Action Groups”. Then create a group with the search bar and drag ‘n’ drop actions from the right-hand side. Then press the save button!

https://i.gyazo.com/17a1c273b6160f24e710b520cae764a1.gif

There are 7 new functions in the API, all documented inside the plugin:

• IsActionEnabled
  • SetGroupEnabled
  • GetGroupEnabled
  • GetGroup
  • SetGroup
  • GetActionsInGroup
  • GetAllGroups

Action groups allow you to enable/disable multiple actions with a single function. Yeah, that’s really it…
I’ve also added new functions to each action inserted through the script menu:

GetName

Returns the internal name for the action.

IsEnabled

Returns whether or not the action is enabled, checking if the action’s group is also enabled.

SetEnabled

A shortcut to enable/disable the action.

IsActive

Another shortcut that returns whether or not the action is being held down.

The last thing I did was allow you to return the actions list as “objects” with the “GetActionsList” function. This means if you do “GetActionsList(true)” it will return each action with its events and functions from the plugin’s script insert menu.

In the last update, I accidentally reverted the change below…

Sorry about that, it now passes the gameProcessedEvent parameter again.

After every update you have to click the deploy button again!