[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Firstly - Will the audio still work in studio? or will it be like animations where you can’t play them if you don’t have access to them?

This is an extreme pain point already with animations. It’s going to be just as frustrating with audio. Group permissions NEED to be more tunable and specific if this is the direction Roblox is going with assets!

Secondly - I develop my own game locally (place file on disk) and the audio discovery is telling me that none of the audio I’ve uploaded (both via group + my own account) are OK. Will this mean the audio wont work when locally testing in Studio? I don’t want to have to upload my place to test things like audio. Seems like an extra painful step being added in the development process there.

Lastly - Assets by a group’s owner should also work on a group game. Some of my older audios are on my own account rather than uploaded to the group, and I don’t want to have to dig up the files to re-upload them. I don’t even know if my composer has these files himself anymore, either.

6 Likes

I haven’t verified yet, and I can upload 10.

1 Like

It’s going to be a pain to work through all the audio in my old games, but by the sounds of it, it will definitely be worth it.

2 Likes

I like this. It’s basically like Animations.

But wait, it’s basically like Animations?

Something doesn’t seem right here with that. I’m not here to complain or anything, but I really need to emphasize something here that is going to hurt a lot of games, very badly.

Audios that are longer than 6 seconds will be automatically privated. If the original uploader agreed to allowing copying of the audio (and there is a ToS section on that, that you Roblox told people to agree to), it shouldn’t be set back to private. The user might have genuinely uploaded the audio to allow others to use it for their own Experiences, and now that, that is being taken away, it puts many games that rely heavily on sound for an experience, at risk of dying out completely.

I would prefer it if you Roblox sent out a message through the Messages section of the website asking the user if they would like to private their existing audios or not. That way if we do have an existing developer who wants to keep all their pre-existing audios public for others to do, they can do so without it being a painstaking process.

I feel as if this feature is going to help lift the personal development burden, however it’s putting a huge load of a burden on those who never uploaded audio assets due to not being super rich in terms of wealth.

I’m sure there are better ways we can execute this, and I hope it has more time for thinking over. Other wise, good change.

5 Likes

The addition of free audio is great! That was one of the BIGGEST barriers I had with game development. On the other hand, existing audios above 6 seconds being privated is a really bad change (unless it’s temporary and just for moderation, I remember playing tower heroes and somebody playing sexual audio.)

5 Likes

Remember every time an audio was deleted it would play one of seven terrible songs?
Its happening again, but on an extreme scale

2 Likes

Audios will be private by default, a lot of people do not understand that you can set the Audios to public for other’s use, audios will not be locked onto the creators places, no, they will be based on permission.

1 Like

Incredibly disappointed with how this sounds, majority of games rely on the sounds on the toolbox, including some of our own, will definitely put a major blow to how we work.

I hope this will be reconsidered before the 22nd.

10 Likes

This seems like a terrible idea. For those who either don’t want to or can’t verify with an ID, 10 per month is terribly limiting and while this normally wouldn’t be an issue, preventing people from being able to use other people’s audios makes it so that you can barely upload any unique sounds you want without having to either verify or wait a few months, which I imagine isn’t preferable. Having to upload something that someone else has likely already uploaded seems pointless and tedious to have to install music then upload it one at a time. Free uploads seem nice, but I’d much rather be forced to pay to upload music but still be allowed to use music that other people uploaded than be only able to upload audio 10 times per month.

7 Likes

With the many older games I have, they rely heavily on third-party audios. Locking all old audios is going to heavily cripple most things I’ve worked on in the past. Any audio that is freely available for someone to “get” (allow copying) should remain classified as public, and instead set everything that isn’t set so other people can get become “private” by default.

Setting everything over 6 seconds to private completely defeats the purpose of having an “allow copying” feature under configure audio.

3 Likes

The songs were actually cool by themselves

2 Likes

Nope. People have posted screenshots showing how their group games cannot use their assets.

2 Likes

:neutral_face:

Absolutely frustrated right now. Thank you for giving us developers the ability to upload a hefty amount of audio free of charge, but…

From what I’m reading, this is going to hurt so many games that use free audios. These audios were made public. They were set public by the uploaders of them for ANYONE to use! Why would you make them PRIVATE AND UNUSABLE if they were set to public for ALL to use for ANYTHING? The worst idea ever. No good reason in my mind to do this. At all. And with a deadline of only 2 weeks? This is a TERRIBLE MISTAKE.

Tons of games created on the platform (including some of mine) utilize a good amount of free audio. TONS created over the past decade. This change is going to hurt ALL of them (especially games that have boomboxes!). Some developers of games aren’t that active on ROBLOX and won’t be aware of this.

PLEASE re-consider this. You care about your developers, don’t you? The audios that are currently public on the catalog should remain public, just as their uploaders set them to. Apologies if I’m coming off as rude, I don’t usually make posts like this.

26 Likes

Roblox patched bypassed audios back in octoberish (actually maybe june I don’t remember lol), they basically convert the audio after it’s uploaded so that any wierd file format is changed back to normal. The only existing bypassed audios are from before the patch, or they were just accidentally let through by moderators (which I’m pretty sure they use bots during some hours of the day).

3 Likes

I assume you can resort to buying audios after you spend the free ones, just like badges

2 Likes

i think that this is a great change and i’m glad to see that you’ll be able to finally upload free audios.

1 Like

I’d literally rather pay for audio uploads. I don’t care to put in my ID to upload more than 10 a month, especially since Roblox will constantly mistakenly flag them as inappropriate due to their horrible approval system.

I could articulate how angry I am, but I’d be banned within seconds. I have never been this angry at Roblox or an update they’ve made. Ever.

13 Likes

I remember one of the pieces sounding particularly like elevator music.

“We interrupt your normal scheduled listening experience for something a little different.”

2 Likes

Here’s a better solution:

If someone does not want their asset used elsewhere, they can toggle where it can or cannot be used.
Simple as that.

18 Likes

Are there perhaps any contributing factors to the amount of audio you can upload per month? (Examples: place visits, account age)

3 Likes