[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

The issue is, it doesn’t have to be this way in the slightest.

Roblox staff are taking what is essentially a simple fix and is twisting it into such a way where it’s going to negatively impact EVERYONE that hasn’t had any experience with making their own sound effects.

1 Like

If it gets pushed, I disagree.

As stated in the original post, audios can’t be made public for an undisclosed amount of time. For a short while, the audio library is esentially going to be nothing but APM, Monstercat and any audios that are under <6 seconds. This means that the change’s worst part will linger for a good while. How long? Judging by the post, probably a lot longer then we think.

I dont think that is really a problem

but it def strips my favorite part which is when it is community made :pensive:

what the hell are you talking about?, did you really just try to compare racism to a roblox update :confused:

5 Likes

You make a good point. I agree Roblox may be going a bit too far for an update stemming from a copyright lawsuit, but I’m trying to take a more neutral stance now as I don’t want to get involved in arguments. 12 hours ago, I was so mad that saying how mad I was would get me banned.

systemic racism =/= update on children’s game

Gotta say, that was quite the jump there.

I don’t think this update is really gonna affect us our entire lives and also be around for decades after we perish. C’mon, now…

4 Likes

My idea: Why don’t we give some constructive criticism here to the devs and make sure they can see it. Not just insult them and each other but try to make an open discussion happen somehow. We understand now why they are doing it so why not butt heads and try to figure out the answer to their dilemma instead of just chewing them out.

1 Like

Although I support the free audio uploads, I am against the change to audio privacy on Roblox. I’m sure that just about every game without a sound designer on their development team will struggle as a result of this, and what if the current sounds they use in their games are exactly perfect and or had scripts attached to them? I’m pretty sure this change will be a detriment to a lot of games on Roblox, especially games with a big number of sounds. I don’t really find it fair that many of my games will lose some life to them as a result of this change, and same for many other games. I understand that there will be an expansive catalog for sounds and sound fx, but I feel like it isn’t really necessary to limit the privacy of just about every audio on Roblox.

Right, I respect your stance on not wanting to take any side, usually I tend to take the same approach as well.

Of course, in this circumstance I just can’t see any good that will come out of this update.

It’s going to break so many games, it’s going to make development so much more difficult, and people are just accepting this?

sorry for lack of elaboration /gen

I was comparing how systemic racism is relatively “forgotten” but still effects silently
us today
and this can be applied to this update
this update might be relatively “forgotten” but the lack of community made music would effect us silently

same for this

I do admit I coulda just said “it will effect us silently”
im very sorry

I also kinda hate the 5 minute limit
PURE SPECULATION but it kinda sounds like they KNEW this would be contreversial :thinking:

1 Like

You guys are thinking about this update with a short term mindset, when this change goes into effect, roblox audio moderation will probably be really strict, which in turn means that uploading bypassed audio will be really hard, and us developers don’t have to worry about using copyrighted audio in your game anymore. plus free audio :). i see this update has a net positive

I disagree there, I mean as much as monstercat is OK ish, EDM doesn’t fit any of the vibes my games have. Id rather be more comfortable uploading my own stuff that I have gotten permission from the rights holder to upload rather than rely on roblox.

2 Likes

why not make the auto moderation strict and a few more things that won’t destroy a lot of games
keep in mind this still makes all of the community made sounds private
I dont really recall you even mentioning that topic

Why in the post do you talk about Monstercat as the best music on the platform, you guys know the update isn’t that good and has a lack of library of any music. Like you mention Roblox’s Stock Audio and Monstercat as options.

if you have permission then upload it, all roblox is really doing is wiping audio that might be in valuation of copyright

I don’t want to be “that guy”:tm: but you’re probably giving Roblox a bit too much credit here.

IF and this is a HUGE IF they do manage to improve the automoderation that still doesn’t excuse how the only thing we’re going to have for the next year or so is just royalty free music and probably a SMALL amount of stingers and sound effects that will be genuinely bare bones from what we used to have.

This doesn’t even account for the fact that they’re saying this is going to be done for other assets, which is a HUGE red flag if you’ve ever seen anyone trying to police image copyright enforcement.

Actually this brings up a really good question…

How is this going to help with this supposed copyright infringement issue if people will still find ways around it? This is just going to go back to square one…

1 Like

This just makes me wish more that they would have been open to us about this issue beforehand, this lawsuit isn’t new, they could have found a compromise with us from the get-go if they would have not left us out of the discussion.

no company what’s to be open about them getting sued bro

There’s reasons you don’t say anything about a legal issue while it’s ongoing, while I don’t blame them for being forced into this situation, I 100% blame them for how they are handling it especially when there are much better ways of going about it.

a large music company might have threatened them with a new lawsuit cause this update came out of nowhere, and it seems really rushed. don’t be surprised if clothing is next