[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

So basically “Hey, most if not all of the audios in your game are going to stop working, but at least we are giving you 10 free uploads a month, which probably won’t be enough to replace even a fraction of your broken audios!”

What is the point of “removing barriers like this” if you are just going to replace them with even more barriers that are 10x worse :skull: Now I have to figure out what I am going to do with the insane amount of now broken audios in my game, while finding a replacement for my boombox gamepasses that people payed for, and oh right, all in a matter of two weeks! Thanks Roblox :frowning:

3 Likes

You expect me to go my dozen or so games, and then reu-upload 90% of the audio in said games… even if I use the same sound effect across all of them, i have to upload that same sound effect 12 times to 12 different groups, and then go into those games and make changes… what about people who use sounds that weren’t published by them… are we not allowed to use free sounds anymore?? We have <2 weeks to do all of this.

Easy to say one of, if not the worst update idea in the past 4-5 years on Roblox :confused: Intentionally destroying every single game on Roblox that uses sound. I hope this idea gets pushed back and rethought, as it ain’t a great one.

If things are being taken down due to copyright, why do you charge to upload them? I thought that the charge was there so the audios could actually properly be moderated. If it clears moderation, that’s not the developers fault whatsoever.

2 Likes

Why is this not already enabled?

I need to re-upload every song for every group of mine to keep them alive in each group & subsequently hold different models for each group? Makes no sense why you’d want us to increase the amount of storage Roblox has to uphold keeping multiple copies of the same thing on the framework.

I have licensed music that I cannot just make public for everyone.

6 Likes

Cannot say the same:

Also, Roblox, why the hell are you making all audios private? Why? That affects more people than if you just left them public and let people make them private.

2 Likes

Also, I agree with many people on this change: Existing audio should stay public unless privated by original uploader, future audio will be private by default. (Especially since the audio uploader could be inactive and may not be on devforum and not notified of this change.)

By the way did they turn on slow mode to avoid getting bombarded with criticism? DevForum so glitchy right now, they ought to just undo this.

ALSO, this feels like Roblox just wants to wipe away every sound like how you clear your history and literally start the entire thing over.

Keep in mind that all previous audio uploaded before this update that is longer than 6 seconds will be privated and all audio further published will be auto-privated. Also the limit is 10 AUDIOS PER MONTH!!! The cons far outweigh the pros!

Exactly, and I have over 50 EXPERIENCES with sounds! This is so frustrating, Roblox!

2 Likes

Wait, so does this mean I can upload any audio (That roblox will not ban me for) for free?

Unreal.

What person thought it was a great idea to come out with this, yet give such a short notice as well? I don’t get it.

Keep punishing your developers, ROBLOX! :clap: :clap:

6 Likes

If they made it so all past uploaded audio could be accessed for free but all audio uploaded after march 22nd was private, you would fix like most of the issues with this entire thing.

5 Likes

So im not allowed to use one of my Soundtracks? I mean its in the red Area for some reason. My Friend made this for me because i asked him if he could make me a Soundtrack. Its an official Soundtrack from me and my Team since he belongs to it and like i said months ago on one of my Videos. Fantastic…

3 Likes

I count at least 62 separate sounds I need to replace in one of my showcases.

privatesoundgif

Roblox this is beyond unacceptable. People make their audio free for a reason- to share it with other users. You simply cannot expect to make such a horrific change. The proposed solution is to literally use your Roblox-approved, curated, stock sound effects/music for a replacement, or upload every single audio file yourself.

It will take more than 180 days to replace all of the audio within this single game. And I have many games with lots of audio within them.

My showcase, which has been praised for its ambience and sound design, will be dead silent because of this change. There is no good reason to enforce this.

It is horrifying that Roblox has chosen to strip entire libraries of audio- that many developers depend on. I am infuriated at this change.

17 Likes

Quite honestly one of if not the worst and most unnecessary update to ROBLOX.

10 Likes

Will we be able to sell audios for others to use? If so, sound producers will finally be able to shine!

1 Like

In all honesty, this is a bad solution. Nobody with a boombox they paid money for is going to want to listen to some generic corporate music. The only half-decent one on here is Monstercat, because they make actual music instead of advertisement filler.

Massive rant about Roblox audios in general

And that’s not the only problem with this music system. How can you boast about having 100,000 songs when a good majority of them are slightly altered duplicates or 30 seconds long? This has nothing to do with the name ‘Megabyte’, and it’s not even 10 seconds long. And, not to mention, even if these songs DID have names that made even a lick of sense, you wouldn’t be able to find them because THE ROBLOX SEARCH FUNCTIONALITY IS AWFUL! For instance, try to find something specific. A keyword. In fact, we’ll use Keyword as an example. The first three results will be okay, and the rest will be Key or Word. Or even the dreaded exploit of the name system KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY and WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD.

As user Quenty stated:

This is a serious hole in your plan to get everyone to move to the safe and friendly “everything is fine” music library. How are we supposed to use your big wide catalog of 100,000 songs if we’re only licensed to use 250 at once? (See Section 4 of hyperlink for details)
And keep in mind, this is for the whole game. If you have background music or even SOUND EFFECTS, this will use up ‘sound slots’ for your game that paying boombox users will lose.

All in all, I see massive, glaring issues with this that seriously need to be cleared up or fixed.

At the end of the day, Roblox, you can’t give a construction worker a broken kit and say “Just make do!” The same goes for the developers using your platform. You can’t give a developer a set of broken and legally grey area features and say “Just make do!”

Unrelated but: Gotta love Roblox’s backend. Got multiple 502s trying to post this before, and got stuck in slowmode hell. Awesome.

17 Likes

I’m shocked anybody at Roblox read this over without laughing to themselves with dark lighting and a comically evil hollywood-movie grin, as the lighting gets darker and darker as the camera zooms on on their face looking to the side of the camera into the distance.

No seriously, this is comically terrible and it’s very obvious that trying to use free audio to distract us from how terrible of an update this is was very apparent. Not everybody can upload 2000 audios, I guess anybody who doesn’t have an ID can’t develop on roblox anymore, and anybody who hasn’t made money off of roblox can’t upload more than 100 audios a month for their game, completely ridiculous and seems to only hurt every single user on the website.

5 Likes

I am ID verified, with a bombastic dev crown I earned on my own. (currently at just under 50K visits) I only have 100, Not that I need more currently but I have friends who I help develop that do

Update I talked to some other developers and it varies most of them have 2000, none of them have devxed in the past

3 Likes

Another thing I realized: we absolutely can not let this through. What if upload limits get added for image assets? Or 3d models? Roblox, this is unacceptable, I don’t care if I can’t upload free audio, just DO NOT add limits. Some people need to upload a ton of assets daily. I repeat: DO. NOT. CHANGE. THIS.

2 Likes

Seems like roblox has gotten pretty desperate for reform over these few months.

These changes are likely in response to copyright issues, and only copyright issues, but what a way to log onto the website.

Even when Roblox got their way out of other changes that negatively startled the community, I’m not too sure if they’ll get out of this one anytime soon.

5 Likes

I have to disagree with one of the statements, YES there should totally be some form of control over sounds that you own, HOWEVER, this is the nuclear approach! A lot of the audios that already exist are made by people who likely don’t even play Roblox anymore, and 70% of the entire audio catalogue is longer than a mere 6 seconds, it’s usually around 10 ~ 15 seconds! The better approach would be to not even touch anything that was made before this announced change and give everyone who made their audios the ability to make them private, retroactively changing stuff DOES NOT help anyone in the long run!

As for the lawsuit stuff, what was stopping Roblox from just cracking down on it with moderation like every other time!?

This was obviously a terrible approach at a fairly good fix, all they had to do was make anything that was made AFTER this update private by default and leave everything BEFORE this update untouched!

6 Likes

So how are some people getting 2,000 uploads per 30 days, while others are getting 10 to 100? I have processed a DevEx request before, but I only have 100.

Do you need to reach a certain amount of place visits?

Just… why?

Wouldn’t it make far more sense to simply keep all audios public, and then let developers choose to whether or not to make their specific audios public? There are plenty of audios that have been uploaded by inactive or banned accounts, so if this update gets pushed out, those audios get locked and privated with no hope of ever using them again.

It makes far more sense for ALL old audios to be public by default. And if any developer wants to make theirs private, they can do so themselves. That way audios that were intended for public use won’t be locked because of an inactive dev, and likewise developers who want to private their audios still have the choice.

To say that I’m appalled would be an understatement

6 Likes