[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Will the roblox audio library be easier to navigate after this update? As of right now, it is pretty difficult to find SFX uploaded by Roblox using the toolbox and the marketplace which is why most developers use sound effects that are user generated. Assets can only be searched by name, length and creator, and it makes it hard to find sound effects since music and sound effects aren’t separated in the search. I am very happy about Roblox adding professional licensed sound effects to the catalog, but it would be extremely helpful to have a more robust audio search so developers can properly find what they are looking for easily.

1 Like

Absolutely terrible update please revert it’s very sad for all the devs that have custom audio gamepasses please revert

4 Likes

Nevermind, this answered my question.

Not right away, no. Audio will be private with no way to make them public again for some time. As mentioned here:

Which is really annoying because there is a lot of audio out there that already have permission from the audio creator/source to be used publicly. AND it goes without saying that a Roblox Moderator approved the asset to be used in the first place, otherwise it would have been Content Deleted a long time ago, right? So it makes no sense to punish everyone for the wrongdoing of a few. smh

6 Likes

It’s a good update, however I got two or more questions for these changes, because i’m most likely confused:

First, will these changes will also take effect on older audio that has been uploaded before March 22?

Secondly, will we be able to reupload old audio that is shorter than 6 seconds?

And lastly, do these changes also apply to Non-Copyrighted SFXs in games?

1 Like

I should un archive my old games that have like 20k visits just to maybe get more oof

Again, do not use this with “Provided by Roblox” to upload again due to copyright audio.

That’s kinda strange. Perhaps the 2000 per 1 month is based on did you upload audios before the “great announcement regarding the great purge of every single audio found on Toolbox” occurred?

1 Like

Developers who have successfully used DevEx will have the 2,000 audio upload limit.

Simply ridiculous. Refund everyone who recently uploaded audio and at least add a button/option to transfer personal audios to a group so devs can keep using their sounds in groups they don’t own but develop for. This will completely ruin Roblox otherwise.

There are some people who DevEx’d before yet some of them still have 100 audio per 1 month limit, as shown below:

1 Like

Damn, you guys kinda good at making bad updates.

13 Likes

I never used DevEx. Nor I will be able to because of current situation in the world. Yet I still have 2000.

3 Likes

Interesting, so the 2000 can’t be due to DevEx, premium, or verification status. @samanta1654 mentioned that

Perhaps the 2000 per 1 month is based on did you upload audios before the “great announcement regarding the great purge of every single audio found on Toolbox” occurred?

but that can’t be the reason either as I have never uploaded an audio before and still have the 2000.
Would love some clarification from Roblox, @BitFist

1 Like

Free audio uploading is great, but honestly I think it would be better to just add the ability to make assets private instead of making everything private. Some sounds that a lot of games use are uploaded by inactive users who chose to upload the audio publicly. Since this feature is already going to be available in the future as it expands, why not just release the option of making audios private instead of going out of the way and making all audios beyond 6 seconds private and only to add the function for users to toggle it. Its really a hassle that we have to change and reupload every audio in our game, even more of a hassle that the users who uploaded the audio for the community having to manually make the audios public one by one because the change made it all private.

1 Like

I like the concept of having private assets that cannot be used by others, I do not however, like how this is being approached.

I don’t think pretty much destroying a large portion of people’s experiences and causing havoc within the developer community as we all scramble to find alternative audio is right at all. I think all audios should keep their pre-existing permissions, and if audios were off-sale, it would be nice to have a privacy option marking them as “unlisted” - where audios wont show up in the catalog but will not be restricted, and developers who wish to restrict their audio can do so.

I really hope there can be a change because this will disrupt and frustrate a very large amount of developers on the platform, I doubt this’ll be changed though, cause it’s already been planned out.

Imo a better idea could be:
Public - Anyone can use.
Unlisted - Anyone with the link/id can use (keeping things like boomboxes in mind and models on the catalog that were made by people).
Private - Nobody but the group/owner the audio was listed under can play/use it in their experience.

4 Likes

I would rather pay the fee than being only able to upload 10 audios a month. Crappy update in that regard.

6 Likes

Not me, they gave me 10. Just unwillingly verified with my ID now I got 100. I feel some type of way.

1 Like

Free badges and now audios?

Roblox you are the best. Helping small developers is the most important thing currently.

Thank you so much!

dont forgot you cant use other’s audio anymore starting 22th march