[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

After I saw that audio uploads will be free I was like, AMAZING! I’ll be able to upload decent audio. Then I checked the limit without the ID verification thing… 10!!! let’s say someone wants to upload audio for a game with guns: 1 audio for firing sound, another for reload. Thats about 5 guns maximum per MONTH, then they also have to upload other audio because the search finds very bad audio and it’s just suffering to use it: effects, crouch, sprint, breathe, heartbeat when damaged. My suggestion is that it increases by how long you’ve been on roblox. If your account is 1 year old you get like 5 extra audio per month, 2 years 10 extra, but the account would have to be active. Having a hard cap be so low is a bad decision in my opinion.

This would be a good idea
This would be helpful to people who upload stuff in other places, like other groups or alt accounts

1 Like

Many users active in the development community or even just aware of the failings of the audio catalog have known that most of it is botted, bypassed or spammed. It’d wager it’s unsurprising to most (including myself) that a change is finally being made to the catalog.

What I am surprised about is the sheer ludicrousness of this change and scale it would extend to on the platform at large. The incredibly wide variety of experiences this would impact is on a scale not seen since the addition and forced switch to FilteringEnabled.

These changes would:

• Remove the payment on audio catalog uploads, in favor of monthly limits
  • Remove the ability to upload new sounds for all users to use
  • “Private” all audio longer than six seconds to developers and general users, disabling, by my estimate, an incredibly large portion of the audio catalog
  • Only allow official catalogs of music or SFX to be available for the public
  • Only the creator or group developers would only be able to use newly uploaded audio in their own experiences under a user or group, excluding the Roblox catalog
  • These changes would go into effect on March 22nd, or twelve days from now

This would have incredible impact on current and legacy experiences hosted on the platform, likely removing a good chunk of sound effects and most background music from a large portion of now legacy (no longer maintained) experiences that relied on the public catalog. It’s outright said in the announcement that there is no functionality to re-enable public listings longer than six seconds (“Can I change the privacy settings on my audio assets to make them all public?”)

At the very least, as in scraping the bottom of the barrel here, I’m glad that Roblox has provided a plugin to audit soon to be disabled audio so developers are not wasting large amounts of time auditing their experiences

I’m incredibly surprised that a better alternative to these changes could not be found, such as expansion of the audio length cutoff to 30 seconds (exempting most of the public SFX audio catalog from the change), or even having a way to re-list audio.

Did I mention this will happen in twelve days, and will not be opt-out?

This is an incredibly disappointing and appalling change from Roblox.

6 Likes

Other than free audio uploading, this update sucks, my games have alot of sounds from the toolbox and I want this update reverted :confused:

1 Like

The fact that they haven’t even considered making some kind of access permission system, which honestly would be the best solution to this, is baffeling to me.

On top of that, the lack of tools to migrate audios or anything like that makes it objectively worse.
We’re gonna have to do it either on our own or manually

Kudos to the person that made the plugin in the OP, though

5 Likes

If they absolutely had no choice but to break many games on purpose, then I would prefer it if we were informed MONTHS or even a YEAR in advance.

6 Likes

Talked to a teacher of mine, I’m taking some game design courses.
Their thoughts on this whole thing:
“Their just, wiping out a huge chuck of their fan base. Just leave”

I’m… blown away by this action because I remember a similar game. Blocksworld. Where you could make your own stuff. They added more and more limits, changed their paid account stuff, changed code so much, and it killed their app. Their app is gone now, it’s servers offline.

Roblox is doing the same thing that company did.

3 Likes

now, i dont want to sound like “bruhhh i want more audio uploads bruhh”, but regarding the upload limit.

i’m not fully sure that 10 per 30 days is quite sufficient for all people (i am VERY grateful that its free now though), because if you think about it - the vast majority of sound effects in games are going to be privated with what i’ve read as no way to make them public. 10 per month may not be enough to cover all of the sound effects that most games would use, and there wouldn’t be a way to ask others to upload them for you - as they would be private.

if i had to say what enough would be, i’d say 10 per week or 50 per month. i dont want to ask for too generous of an increase, but i’d like the teros considered.

1 Like

The worst part: Roblox probably won’t listen, because why would they need to? They don’t care about the developers, just money. The way I see it, this update is to make Roblox look better to shareholders.

4 Likes

Why is there always a catch with ROBLOX updates?
Free audio is really nice and should’ve been a feature from day one but limiting most users to 10 audios a month is a tad low. Also consider how random the 2000 audios/ month distribution is. I’ve been on ROBLOX since 2009 and have subscribed to Builders Club and later Premium for damn short of 10 years and have no benefit whatsoever, whereas some of my very new friends are entitled to 2000 audios…

1 Like

The consequences of obeying your partners, no matter how absurd the idea is.

4 Likes

This is absolutely awful!!!

Yes no upload fees anymore maybe good but have you considered that my games are made by my audio and half made by Strofe.

Meaning that this feature has disabled all my audio and I cannot use it in my game anymore and as a developer that is 20 but cannot drive or too expensive to get a passport and our country don’t have national ID card this is restricting as I will not be able to upload audio!

This update is really awful and I will have no choice to stop developing you have completely kicked me off the platform. I can’t make games without music!!!

Have you taken any consideration into us developers roblox!

5 Likes

One thing I can see with this is that they don’t specify what kind of sounds are listed under some of those names, what if we want ambiance or weaponry sound effects? Most of those are Music Groups and whatnot-- However only one is “Sound Effects”-- which may very well be just music considering all those other names in that list.

2 Likes

Funny thing, their stock dropped by 7.62% as of typing. Today.
Maybe they will care?

5 Likes

this shouldn’t go live on march 22nd in this state

some of my audios which i made in audacity aren’t acceptable even tho they’re uploaded on my account and everything

total nonsense

3 Likes

My point is that they signed a contract with these companies in exchange of doing this.

2 Likes

I have a racing league which the engine sound its not mine… the problem is when the update will out did the engine sound will be hearing or not?

1 Like

How long is this sound? If it is below 6 seconds, it won’t be deleted.

1 Like

need to check but I hope we will hearing the sound during race because otherwise I will be disapoined by the update

2 Likes

Easy solution:

1. Keep all public audios public.
  2. For audio that is currently private/not public, make an ‘unlisted’ mode which means it cannot be claimed in an inventory or show up on search BUT it can still be used across any game.
  3. Add an option to send/transfer audio to a group of your choice.
  4. On top of this you can introduce your new ‘system’ although I don’t agree with it. Just leave the old/current audios out of this or you will lose a lot of developers and players, and community support.
14 Likes