Action Required: MeshPart Heads & Accessories (May 27th)

Server-Side exploits means that there’s some backdoor on your game that you got infected with that ALLOWS exploiters to run server-side code, an exploiter can’t do that without your game being infected.

4 Likes

This is awesome to know hats are going to have SurfaceAppearance textures, but does this mean old Roblox hats are going to be refreshed with updated textures too? It’d be a LOT of hats, but it’d be awesome

And also, does this mean that SpecialMeshes are being deprecated? I hope SpecialMeshes don’t get deprecated because other than hats, I use them for an experimental day/night cycle (i basically put the size of an inverted specialmesh sphere to a large negative number, allowing me to make my own custom sky gradients while also hiding a reflective skybox so no one can see thru it). If SpecialMeshes do get deprecated, I’ll never be able to use my system again.

Also, about the bounding boxes: Will we have any control in our games over the hitboxes, similar to how we can control the hitboxes for packages in Game Settings? I feel like custom hitboxes for each hat can cause some really bad problems for MANY games, especially if these hitboxes are affecting R6 characters too.

It’s impossible for an exploiter to do that serversided, you know that right? Exploits are forced clientsided and the only way they can ever change anything on the server is through a weakness which is almost always the developer’s fault

Changing an ID on the client will not replicate to other players

2 Likes

Please address the extreme cost of resizing BaseParts, which is directly tied to this. Now that all accessories (of which a character can have many) are being converted from SpecialMeshes to MeshParts, this will only increase the cost of character scaling, making character scale animation across multiple players basically impossible (because of the severe performance impact - this will bring even the strongest CPU to its knees with single digit framerates).

SpecialMeshes are very versatile because of the fact that the Scale property is not tied to the basepart container at all, which not only allows for extremely small or extremely large objects that go beyond the dimension constraints of 0.05 and 2048 studs, but importantly, also allows developers to rescale a mesh’s visual appearance extremely cheaply, allowing for many meshes to have scale-changing animations occur at once.

6 Likes

This update seems to break acessories still using the deprecated ‘Hat’ instance

for example this: Ceremonial Guard of the Archduke of the Federation - Roblox now refuses to load in game

4 Likes

I’m surprised they missed a few of these.
Do you know of any other items still using the Hat class?

1 Like

All of these. It looks like Roblox forgot to check for shoulder accessories when they were converting from Hat to Accessory.

8 Likes

This really simplifies how heads and hats work in games and I’m excited for this feature, it will help a lot.

The lack of VertexColor in mesh parts is really frustrating and limiting to games with user customization.

2 Likes

Enabling this feature broke the ability to add custom accessories (models) via humanoid description. I really hope this is just a bug because my game relies heavily on the ability to add custom accessories to players. There’s over 1,000 of them in my game.

Neither of these custom-made Accessories equip with this feature enabled, however they do when I disable it. They aren’t “Hat” objects either, they’re Accessories. I’m really disappointed that this is the case considering that Roblox took a survey here on the forum a year or so ago asking if they should remove the ability to use Models in Humanoid Descriptions and over 70% of developers said no.

3 Likes

Same, I have been waiting for MeshParts to get a VertexColor property for a few months now, if this feature gets added, my game will finally have a full character customization, because right now MeshPart textures are the only thing left out.

This update descourages me to use Special Meshes even more now, it 100% confirms my stance, I don’t want to use Special Meshes just because of texture coloring.

I’m pretty sure that feature was removed for security reasons

FE scripts basically affect server, you might wanna learn more about FE scripts

Deprecated doesnt mean you can’t use it. It just means they wont update it anymore.

And how do they affect the server? Because a client sends info to a remote event. The only way an exploiter can exploit a weakness that replicates to the server is if there is a remote event that doesn’t have many or any conditions to meet.

Say, for example, I make a remote event with 2 parameters: hitHumanoid and damage. Because the client gets to control the damage, anyone who knows how to exploit can just fire the remote event from the client and set whatever damage, especially if I set no condition in an if statement. Now, if I add a condition (say, “if damage <= 2 then”) OR just manually set the damage on the server, then the exploiter can’t do anything about it.

I came across a behavior difference regarding the HumanoidRootPart with shipping workspace.MeshPartHeadsAndAccessories as enabled. My game uses R15.

With MeshPartHeadsAndAccessories enabled, the HumanoidRootPart’s collision is false.
With MeshPartHeadsAndAccessories disabled, the HumanoidRootPart’s collision is true.

This came after reports of users being able to noclip through walls in my game in some scenarios. I am not sure if this was intended.

3 Likes

Hi there,

This update seems to break the Ghost Fedora (and probably other transparent hats on roblox)

This hat is usually see through (0.5 transparency)

But has no transparency with MeshPartHeadsAndAccessories enabled

Update: This issue is now fixed, thank you!

14 Likes

This is really exciting! I can’t wait to see Layered Clothings, I’ve been waiting this for so long! :smile:

1 Like

MeshPartHeadsAndAccessories.Enabled combined with Avatar Outer Box collision seem to make the collision way bigger than it should.

2 Likes

I’m very pleased to hear this as more character customization is something that I know my players will really enjoy, I’m hoping that face layering (decal.Zindex) will also be an option in this update.