Actual genres

Military, naval, medieval, sci-fi, town and city, and western aren’t genres. They’re themes. We need genres like strategy, racing, and roleplay so people can easily find the kinds of games they like.

2 Likes

well thank god they got rid of ninja.

1 Like

Totally agree and support. If you’re going to keep them, at least rename them to what they really are.

Don’t forget RPG and RTS and Puzzle, I totally support this, it would give my RTS game an edge above all other games because of the genre exclusion, RTSs are uncannily rare in roblox

What really are game genres, anyways?

Figments of the creators’ imaginations?

[quote]
gen·re
ˈZHänrə/
noun: genre
a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.[/quote]

Basically, groups of stuff so similar they they decided to name it, genre can also be what’s commonly called ‘Theme’, which is the current interpretation roblox uses, but it’s more accurate to apply it to gameplay types, like FPS,MMO,RPG,RTS,Puzzle,Strategy,etc

Steam uses it right:

Genres and themes would be cool

Genres would be how you play the game (FPS, MMO, RPG) and theme would be more like Naval, Military, Medieval, Fantasy, etc.

1 Like

[quote] Steam uses it right:

[/quote]

‘Indie’

Oh how I see 95% of games on ROBLOX using this!

1 Like

[quote] Genres and themes would be cool

Genres would be how you play the game (FPS, MMO, RPG) and theme would be more like Naval, Military, Medieval, Fantasy, etc. [/quote]

This is a fantastic idea! I like the idea of adding corrected genres and switching the old genre to theme.

[/quote]

‘Indie’

Oh how I see 95% of games on ROBLOX using this![/quote]

99.999%

Last time I checked, roblox hasnt actualy paid anyone to produce a game, (as roblox is technically a publisher)
and befefore you say “but devex!” they arnt paying for the game, they’re paying for the exchange of fake curency you make for a game.

It’d be the difference between a company buying paper, and a company buying paper making facilities.

Well we don’t add Indie.

Indie no longer means independent

It means “artsy-fartsy game that i made with not very much effort put into it, but hey it’s art it can get away with it right? haha”

“Indie” has always sounded undermining and nooby to me. ZC2 would be indie, that’s not right. More like “army of 1”. idk

[/quote]

‘Indie’

I bet 95% of people on ROBLOX don’t even know what it is

Could we also get a Building Showcase genre and a Scripting Showcase genre?

pls!

Lest we forget the two most important distinctions here:

1 - RPG and Roleplay should be separate genres on Roblox. Complain all you want, but Roleplaying on a (nearly) static map/game and using your imagination is in a whole different ballpark from an RPG; a GAME with roleplaying involved as a piece of the puzzle that make up its mechanics.

2 - Can Platforming be a genre or am I naïve here?

2 Likes

My main problem with the “genres” right now is that most games fall in two or three categories. For example, I have a game that fits both in the Medieval and RPG categories. But I guess this also has to do with the fact that “Medieval” is not an actual genre.

[quote] [quote=“Zyneak” post=139143]Steam uses it right:

[/quote]

‘Indie’

I bet 95% of people on ROBLOX don’t even know what it is[/quote]

lel Indiana Jones game lel