Add a read-only ImageWidth/ImageHeight property to images, or pass a warning when extending beyond

It is currently near impossible to determine the resolution of an image without having the original file. While not an issue itself, working with ImageRect/ImageOffset - which relies on having this information to hand - becomes a nightmare.

I spent a few hours grappling with a single sprite sheet because my resolution was off, but I only discovered this after rewriting code to make sure I wasn’t making mistakes in how I was approaching sprites. It was only after trial and error that I finally found the correct resolution.

An alternative way to finding image sizes was to go onto the website and grab the asset directly, but access to that portion of the website has since been restricted. This was really our only other option for this.

Reasons for why certain things like this haven’t been added yet do exist:

However, it’s been a few years since these requests have been asked for. If we cannot get the property, can we get an error message?

Adjusting an image with this resolution to something greater could give us this warning:

Alternatively, could we get a tool dedicated to grabbing asset information like this? Image resolution, mesh triangles, once the file is given to roblox, we have no way of knowing if any changes are made.

24 Likes

Hi @edenojack - sorry to hear that working with spritesheets was a frustrating process for you. Would it help to have a more visual workflow (like a tool) specific to creating spritesheets?

I’ve been slowly working on a plugin to help with Sprite sheets, but the issue was trying to guess an image’s size in order to find where a sprite should begin/what size it should be.

If I have an sprite sheet that has 12 sprites on it, and I want to find the 5th sprite, I need to know precisely what pixel it begins at, and how many pixels wide/tall it should be. If I upload something in the wrong dimensions, or lose access to the file itself, I no longer know where those coordinates are. My only option to finding this information out is by trial and error.

A quick thread;

The plugin works so far, but it’s accuracy is still entirely dependant on knowing the Image’s resolution.

I think that spritesheets are an incredibly under-utilized area of roblox. I can only think of a handul of games that use them; Q-Clash, RooM, … I’m a little pressed to think of any more. I can’t say if thats because of how easy/difficult it is to use them.