Add a ruler tool for measuring the distance between 2 surfaces

As a new ROBLOX developer, it is currently hard to measure the distances between objects if, for say, you want to align another object between them.

If this issue were addressed by the addition of a new “Ruler” tool, it would be a lot easier to measure the distance between 2 surfaces without needing to spawn a part in and use the properties tool.

This tool would be another button where the Select, Move, Scale, Rotate, and Transform buttons are, with a tape measure icon.

When currently in use, you would be able to click on a surface, and then click on another one, wherein a line would be drawn between the 2 surfaces with a number on top (e.g. 201.75 studs). To prevent errors by selecting 2 parallel surfaces in different locations, the measurement is based on axis, not the length of the line.

Other popular 3D modeling software already have this tool, like Google’s Sketchup.

30 Likes

I didn’t know I needed this, but I need it. Support.

Also a protractor mode for angles would be great.

8 Likes

Yeah, a protractor tool would be nice as well. There’s plenty of space in the toolbar for more features.

2 Likes

In the meantime, @Crazyman32 has a Measuring Tape plugin. Couldn’t find the original but there’s a reupload here: https://www.roblox.com/library/142271273/CM32-Measuring-Tool

4 Likes

Yeah, I knew that there would probably be a plugin, but it would be much better to make measuring distances a core feature.