Add a "Shortcut keys" guide inside Roblox Studio

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to see and memorize certain shortcuts for certain things like Testing a script or Running one for instance, and taking screenshots inside studio as some would do the wrong shortcut or something.

Throughout my time as a developer in Roblox Studio scripting and building, I always keep forgetting to know what shortcuts are which for certain tasks to accomplish and set in order to do a paste, running, or open up certain properties to insert a Part or ModuleScript.

Something like this image inside studio would be helpful to understand and read whenever I’m in a situation or task to remember or do:

There have been users who made images and guides to certain shortcuts to use, printing and opening up folder-by-folder has wasted some good minutes of development and time for something useful for fans or users to see and try on a ScreenGui or prompt like say UserInputService in situations. Where would a good place for this be; it’ll be inside the File tab and from there would be a section called “Shortcuts Keys/Guide” and will open up an image of all shortcuts or buttons to do inside Roblox Studio.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience and somehow a life saver in some cases because it’ll help me out to know what shortcuts and keys are used to do a certain task inside Roblox Studio like copy/paste and testing throughout studio for colleagues and new developers to view and remember.

15 Likes

You can view all shortcuts under File > Advanced > Customize Shortcuts..., and you can search for something by name; for instance, searching Redo shows this:

What would happen if you customized these shortcuts (or also removed them, or had multiple shortcuts)? Would the image change to accommodate, or would it just display the defaults? What would happen if you added shortcuts to things which don’t have shortcuts by default? Would the image change to show the new shortcuts or would they just not show up?

4 Likes

Did not know this existed again when trying to find this, whoops. :grimacing:

No. Not an image as I’ve set an example of the categories and how they could be added to studio. Having an image wouldn’t be easy to manipulate and change, seems hard to configure and change if a user(s) changes it for their convenience for development and shortcuts, I can understand that frustration.

Still, having something with the Customize Shortcuts like without searching or scrolling or preferably rows of tools that do have shortcuts like a different tab or section inside File > Advanced.. would be nice to have as an addition instead of scrolling and finding what tools across A - Z have shortcuts or not.

There are hundreds of useful shortcut keys, and finding them in a map is a difficult task that only gets harder as you add more keys. This doesn’t seem like a great solution to the problem.

Alt in Studio currently doesn’t do anything, maybe it should be used to accelerate ribbon operations and other common tasks, and show location-dependent hints for action hotkeys? This doesn’t solve the issue with more obscure hotkeys, but it seems more usable than a giant map of hotkeys or the shortcut manager.

Windows and Microsoft Office products use alt in the main UI, dialogs, and menus to display hotkey hints and accelerators.

E.g. in Windows menus if you press alt, a letter in the button in the menu is underlined, signifying that it is a hotkey. If you press that letter in this context then that action will happen.

Eg. In Microsoft Office, pressing alt shows these contextual hints that let you use your keyboard exclusively to navigate the ribbon.

4 Likes