Add command tags for text in TextLabels,TextButtons, etc

this feature has to have been requested before, but I couldn’t find the request, so…

i would like to be able to use commands for text, instead of making a new label every time i want text to look different.
like /n
to make a new line, /b to make text bold, /i for italics, and commands for color , etc, etc

and any other common sense text options not mentioned

I searched TextLabel Support and got these. Still a feature I’d love. <:

http://developer.roblox.com/forum/studio-features/11340-textlabels-textbuttons-support-bbcode-or-similar

http://developer.roblox.com/forum/development-discussion/11313-chat-gui-formatting-assistance-resolved

The closest you’d be getting is BBCode in Text-based objects. Custom escapes are harder as Lua already has some:

And to be honest, I wouldn’t even want this. I would want new class(es):
[ul]
[li]RichTextBox (for input)[/li]
[li]RichTextLabel (for output)[/li]
[/ul]

This way you introduce the new functionality but don’t break existing functionality. Don’t need to display formatted text? Don’t use them. Need to? Great! You can!

[quote] The closest you’d be getting is BBCode in Text-based objects. Custom escapes are harder as Lua already has some:

And to be honest, I wouldn’t even want this. I would want new class(es):
[ul]
[li]RichTextBox (for input)[/li]
[li]RichTextLabel (for output)[/li]
[/ul]

This way you introduce the new functionality but don’t break existing functionality. Don’t need to display formatted text? Don’t use them. Need to? Great! You can! [/quote]

Yes! do that! :woohoo:

Being able to represent multiple colors and other formats in one objects I definitely support. Whether it updates existing objects or a new object is made, I want itttt.

You can already accomplish this by generating multiple TextLabels with different properties

Aligning them so that the text looks correct is a bitch to get right though. I’ve tried it before.

1 Like

With some work, you could just script your own version of it. Sure it would be some work, but it would be pretty fun.

thx but, that’s what i was doing and what prompted me to make this post and exactly what i want to avoid having to do. with FiniteRealitys’ idea, a richtextlabel, or even with the option to use BBCode one could accomplish in two minutes what takes 20 minutes or longer to complete with the currently available textlabels, and have better results.

That is beyond my scripting knowledge or skill. Tho, If you would make a plug-in I’d use the heck out of it.