Add more studio/external tools inside Roblox Studio

ATTENTION: Before some serious studio changes back in 2012-2013 of what I recall as a newbie, some of these tools used to be a thing that was implied inside the game with Roblox tools for building games and survival games, but as of now most of these things are deprecated and might come back due to this post or not.

All of these points and ideas are just my opinion of what they could do/how they function inside studio, so many of you could have mixed ideas or what else they could do.

Tool icons:

Annotation 2020-07-18 145657 image image
^ Just a raw example of what icons could look like when introduced, and these are PaintNet icons for the Bucket and the Color Picker.

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to paint certain parts inside workspace with a tool or maybe pick out a color with a tool then using some other tools for building purposes and such, but also that it takes longer to get a certain color for a part or maybe selecting many parts and trying to make them have the same color or maybe separated colors.

In the past couple of years or so, it has been difficult for coloring certain bricks/parts inside studio for maybe big structures that you might need to change the material of a brick or cut some sort of part into two pieces or four for something but when it comes to cutting parts, you have to have separate parts to make with changing up the material like a nice colorful wall.

With these tools inside studio, it could be much easier for some that are new to studio or possibly for present developers making a map or some sort of models like a tree, house, or a statue. It would be nice for more tools to be introduced and added to studio.

Some tools that I had in mind were:

1. Paint Bucket
  2. Color Picker
  3. Material Picker
  4. Cut Tool (Where you can cut parts by half or a normal cut)
  5. Stamp Tool.

Here are some examples of what each tool could do and such:

Paint Bucket

Paint Bucket

The Paint Bucket tool was a tool back then in building games and maybe inside studio which was very handy for many developers back then when it came to building big structures, but as well as creating many things with all the alternative colors such as Bright purple or Bright red.

Why should it be added back/as a tool? Because it was such a useful feature and can benefit many developers on showcases or making a map in some cases when it comes to coloring parts with the bucket and much more inside studio and for games.

In the video is a example of the Paint Bucket tool with the Color Picker at the same time:

Video:

Color Picker

Color Picker

A Color Picker tool is very helpful when it comes to copying a color from a certain part and then using a bucket or one of the default color tools

Here is a video showing what the Color Picker would do:

Video:

Material Picker

Material Picker

Same with the Color Picker but instead, it copies the material of a certain part and then using a Material Bucket to paint on some objects instead of a long process to change materials in the property tab.

A video of what the Material Picker would do:

Video:

Cutting

Cut Tool

Pretty simple really, it just cuts a model or part into 2 halves or maybe 3 depending on the size of the part and the number setting that you’ve chosen for cutting.

There is a plugin similar to this tool as well: Plugin here.

There isn’t a video of what it could look like as the plugin clearly shows and describes on how it works.

Stamp Tool

Stamp Tool

The stamp tool is something that is used in the Brushtool plugin for stamping a model onto a certain position or place on workspace or maybe in a map for a game of yours. :eyes:

You can maybe copy a model or select a model and then if you select the stamp tool you can have a certain region to stamp maybe a tree or character into workspace, it is much more efficient then copy and pasting a model and then dragging it somewhere and then repeatedly doing the same action more than 100x.

^ All of those details and videos are just my perspective of how they used to work/what they could function inside studio, maybe it could be changed if this was seen more.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it can be much easier for builders around the community to use these tools and maybe experiment with all of these tools for most of the things that I mention at the beginning of the post.

With these tools being in-place sometime in the future, it could benefit one developer and then benefit more like a chain of developers learning and saving precious time making a monument or skyscraper easily without selecting a part and going to the properties or the topbar with some of those tools currently in studio.

So, what are some of your opinions on this?

8 Likes

IDK if I misinterpreted your paint bucket suggestion (I only joined in 2017), but there’s a similar feature in Studio already. It allows you to fill colors and materials onto parts, one at a time:

Note: window pop-ups are invisible because I’m using the default Windows Recorder, so clicking image and the material/color buttons should display an overlay window, but it’s not visible in the video!

But yes, it would be handy to use these features. However, sometimes it’s best to leave Studio as it is in certain sectors because “power users” usually don’t prefer having to use only Studio to build their game; they usually like to use other apps like Blender, Rojo, Photoshop, etc. They mostly use Studio as a place to put everything together.

However, for users who don’t have such apps, this would be great to have. Plus, if a feature exists, no one said you need to use it; it’d be great to have something and not use it as opposed to not have it at all.

2 Likes

Didn’t know this was still around as it’s so tiny to see, and that is a similar feature that I was talking about with the Paint Bucket, thanks for point that out. :smile:

Also, I think it should be big to see as I never seen a video explaining that tool inside studio as I thought it was for something else.

Since it’s still around, time for things to become much easier.

1 Like