Add "open place in new window" option to the right-click menu in the Studio home screen

Greetings,

As a Roblox developer, it is currently a little difficult to open two windows of Studio. I usually open a place via the Studio home screen. But if I want to open two of them, I’d first have to open one, then click open from file / recents and select a place from there. This is just an unnecessary extra step.

Sort of like the Windows File explorer, my idea is that there should be an option to “open in new window” in the menu that appears when right clicking a place:

Currently, there’s only one option, which slightly defeats the purpose of a menu, but adding more options will allow it to have more purpose.

What are the use cases? Well, for me, I’m creating OOP styled UI elements such as sliders, dropdowns, etc. and I often don’t like creating the modules inside of my main development place. Instead, I use a “playground” place that contains small random components that I can focus on easily, then port it over to my main place. This requires two windows open, so when I need to make a change to my module, I can do so by simply switching windows, then copy-pasting.

If this issue was addressed, it’d improve my development experience because I’d easily be able to organize my workflow via separate places open at once, so I can transfer objects and scripts easily. Another thing this allows me to do is keep the Studio home screen window open as well, in case I need to open yet another place.

Thank you.

14 Likes