Add plugin:CreateContextAction() to generate items to context menu

As a Roblox developer, I am unable to add context items to studio’s context menu through plugins.

In studio, or engine-wise, there isn’t a way or method to add an item or action to the context menu. For an upcoming plugin I am working on, I’d like to be accessible to anyway possible that developers mainly use, only category missing is the context menu. Having a way to access it would be helpful to development so I can add a prompt to “Read Properties” or to “Clone instance”.

So, plugin:CreateContextAction() comes into play to add an action, parameters for the function:

• actionId: A unique name for holding an action.
  • title: Title for the action.
  • iconId: Icon that’s set for the action.
  • allowShortcuts: Sets whether or not that action can have a shortcut.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it’ll allow plugin developers to add actions to the context for a specific instance, and to support workflows for developers who use the context menu.

9 Likes

Having a way to add a PluginAction to the context menu would be better, similar to PluginMenu:AddAction. It would be weird to have a distinction between plugin actions and context actions.

Since this is for plugins, shouldn’t this topic be in Studio Features?

2 Likes

Agree, something like that would be better, do see some distinction between plugins and the context menu themselves.

Moved to #feature-requests:studio-features.