Add Plural Rules to The Translator Portal

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to properly do pluralization for languages that require it. I have worked on many games with huge Russian audiences and mistakes in dynamic numbers are unavoidable, which leads to a significant decrease in the quality of my translations.

What do I mean by dynamic numbers? For an instance, we have a string which looks like “{number1} players are required for the game to start”, where the {number1} variable changes according to the number of players present in the game. In the Russian language, a word can decline (change) depending on the sentence. 3 players will look like “3 игрока”, whereas 5 players will look like “5 игроков”. For a more detailed explanation, you can check the following pages:
CLDR Plural Rules
Pluralization

There is already an amazing module which lets you eradicate the problem but

• I can’t nor I want to force it onto my clients as it requires a lot of additional work on their part
  • Some people may find it not user friendly

If this issue is addressed and the system for plural rules gets implemented, it would significantly improve the overall quality of translations for many languages that grammatically require the mentioned feature. This will benefit both game creators and translators

P.S The issue is not limited to Russian or other Slavic languages.

33 Likes

Yes, please! It is a pain to need to ask the developers if they could be more translator friendly by hard coding those rules in for us.

5 Likes