Add racial slurs to the forum filter

Hol up, thats my post

i dont know why people do that

what do you mean it was your post

edit: wait nevermind i understand what ur saying

i made that post you linked to

no one asked me to say that tho

this post radiates soy

p.s. how often does that happen anyway i’ve been on this forum regularly since 2017 and never even seen any case of this happening, even if it does it will be flagged and/or removed lightning fast

talk about people getting offended for others smh

Just because you personally haven’t seen this does not mean the issue is non-existent.

Yes, posts are removed lightning fast, but they still need to be flagged and it can take time (although this is uncommon) before they’re removed. Having to view these posts at all is just inconvenient and degrading of the experience because we shouldn’t need to see this content in the first place. Racial slurs have nothing to do with development and are solely used to offend people in an attempt to get banned, so I don’t see why they shouldn’t be filtered out.

I don’t see soy anywhere. I see people who want a cleaner forum so they can actually use it as a forum, rather than a playground to sit playing flag simulator.

3 Likes

if someones just trying to get banned they’re going to find more and more ways to get banned, possibly going beyond just simple racial slurs to whatever is the worst thing you can imagine seeing

this will just create a loop of more and more things being censored to the point where the devforum is going to have a word whitelist instead of blacklist, no thanks

welcome to the internet, a place where not everything is always sunshine and rainbow

FYI, comments like this is also racism and also inappropriate for this forum.

okay okay shh man i edited it ):

2 Likes

People will certainly find other ways of getting banned, you’re right, but I still see no reason why racial slurs shouldn’t be filtered regardless. They cannot be used in any developmental context and they are literally only used to try to offend people, so I see no reason why they should be unfiltered.

4 Likes

yeah man all i was trying to say is that either way people will find ways to avoid it, and that it happens so rarely that it seems like this was an artificially created post, you know in the style of certain people on twitter finding pointless stuff to complain about

so filtered or not, basically nothing will change in the end

The reason why this topic was even created was because someone spammed racial slurs in #development-discussion and #help-and-feedback:scripting-support while this topic was being created, and it has nothing to do with Twitter or any other social media platform. There have also been many incidents in the past where people have used racial slurs and we just want to prevent anything like this from happening again on the DevForum.

I don’t think anyone would use a racial slur as an example, they would probably use names for the word without typing the full word such as “the N-Word”.

This is correct. I was in a #development-discussion post when the offensive reply came up, and it got flagged within 45 seconds. I have never seen any post get flagged that quickly. Within twenty minutes, the account got deleted.

Even though these posts get removed very quickly, it is best to prevent the problem in the first place by censoring offensive words.

7 Likes

???

So you want the devforums to be a racial slur infested website and swearing convention? Elaborate what you mean by ‘nah’ lol

1 Like

if the mods felt like they needed to add this they would have done it by now, everything is fine as it is

Anybody willing to make a post like that and risk their Roblox account is willing to try and bypass the filter. They’ll just replace an I with an l, or an o with a 0, or split the word into pieces, until it becomes and endless cat and mouse chase. It seems like a waste of resources when posts get flagged and taken down within minutes.

And as for people seeing it before it goes down, I don’t see it as a huge issue. If anybody over the age of 13 gets seriously upset over some random guy hiding behind a screen name insulting them, then, no intended offense, they shouldn’t be on the internet. The internet can become an absolute toxic cesspool of cyber bullying.

1 Like

It’s a slippery slope that we’re going down here, although one that I think is probably inevitable at this point to ban swearing even in the private areas of the forum.

The reason there is no / very little filtering here is due to legacy reasons; previously, people were trusted to swear as much as they thought was appropriate and it generally worked out fine. Nowadays there’s definitely an argument to be made that people should not be trusted to do that considering the scale of this forum.

1 Like