Add "Reply" button to restricted topics for Members

As a DevForum Member it is currently to tedious to respond to threads that need post approval. My suggestion to fix this is to simply add the “Reply” button to the restricted topics. When the user taps this button it could have them type the reply like normal and when they “post” it, it would be instantly moved so post approval could read it.

This change would greatly improve the DevForum because it would make it much more seamless to respond to threads. This change would also make it easier for new users to understand the DevForum.

27 Likes

I mean yeah, I guess that would be easier, if you find a topic you would like to talk too and it’s restricted, you can just reply and it’ll go through pa. Smart idea!

2 Likes

This would be a good addition, though I’m sure it’s still it’s still being worked on. In the meantime, I think the process serves as a good deterrent to low-quality posts.

Back when I had the same privilege level as you, I made bulletin board posts, and then messaged Post_Approval about them so they could copy them into the topics I wanted. The process wasn’t terrible; Just annoyingly tedious.

I already made a request of similar nature back then. Maybe you should go check it out.

1 Like

Uh, how? Making the process tedious does not increase the quality of replies. We’re you referring to the need of post approval?

Yes. I was referring to post approval.

Because it discourages low-quality posting, by making the process too difficult for those who just want to reply-and-go. It makes posters put more time into their replies before they get posted.

2 Likes

I like the idea too, but it could get complex as well as when some of the posts might be particularly for people such as Devs or etc. I think they sort of want an idea of what this “certain group” wants if they support this over that. But this could be a possibility. I have no idea why they do this.

I think there’s been a few times where I really wished there was a reply button, but in reality it only takes me a minute or two to just set up a group message to PA. It’s not really that difficult or time consuming unless you are replying to multiple threads per hour.

It would be a nice convenience, although there are probably more important needs that require attention.

I also like this point,

If you really want to post in a topic then you are probably willing to go to greater lengths to be able to post there. Basically life in a nutshell.

2 Likes

Ehhhhh, I’m on a 50/50 dilemma here.

While it is convenient to press your proposed button, why can’t I just DM Post Approval like usual? Like it’s only a few seconds on typing and clicking.

To be fair it is better to do so with just 1 click, I’ve been around in the forum for a good number of months and still don’t know how to send a group message to post approval team, I just go to the guidelines topic which does it for you. Plus people that might not know the post approval process might get stuck, and not know what to do, but if they had a reply button in their hands, and send a reply, they are informed by the system bot about this process, and tell them that their reply is waiting for an approval, which is the same thing with writing a topic in Community Tutorials and areas like that, which was only added 2 or 3 months ago.

We already have this implemented, but it is not turned on because it would likely flood post approval with loads of low quality requests they would have to provide feedback on.

Suggestions welcome. (please make sure they are scalable)

2 Likes

Just turned this on for #discussion. Everyone sees a Reply button but TL1 is redirected to post approval upon leaving a reply there.

We might have to turn this off again depending on how much extra workload this adds, but it’s also better for us in a way because it makes our automation work a little better since it attaches some metadata to the posts that our automation hooks into. So we’ll see how it goes.

If it works out fine we will probably turn it on for the feature request categories too.

11 Likes

I’ve noticed that issue while replying to posts in Discussion, although it does seem it automatically accepts my posts, although I assume it might alert PA in their inbox, as a conversation still opens regardless of the fact it automatically accepts the post.

It should show you a red message in the place of where your post would be that links to the post approval DM. Let me know if you see anything different next time you happen to reply to Discussion, and what device you are using if so.

1 Like

Post approval restriction for Members is removed for Discussion replies:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/development-discussion-grant-new-members-access-to-reply-and-or-create-topics/253905/11

4 Likes