Add sales back to the site

If the intended purpose of removing sales was to keep sales private it’s still a privacy breach. Just because your mailbox isn’t in your house doesn’t mean I am allowed to go through your mail.

I don’t want sales numbers of my stuff being readable by anyone. If someone is going to go out of their way to install a plugin to see them it’s not that big of a deal. Some developers don’t want their sales numbers in the eyes of the public and there is nothing wrong with that.

A mailbox is considered private property. You can be tried, sued, and convicted in a court of law if you were to go through my mail.

I vote we remove the information from the API so that extensions can’t reimplement it either.

I want to be able to see my sales. Not my competition, not random analytics farmers, etc. Kill the public api, really absurd that people can guesstimate my studio’s revenue (without dev products included afaik)

4 Likes

This has 0 adverse effects on devs if their sales are made public. However, it is better for the devs because they can see what sells better and therefore adjust their prices and what they’re selling based off what others do. This improved monetisation would also be in roblox’s favour as better monetised games means ppl are more likely to give Roblox their money.

2 Likes

Once again, if a developer doesn’t want their sales figures public they should have the choice not to. Many developers might not want their figures publicly available for privacy reasons. They should have their choice.

4 Likes

I can’t think of any good reasons to keeping it private though? Maybe devs don’t want to be singled out for earning so much or w/e, but if it’s universal so what?

I’m open to being wrong about this, but what are the reasons for keeping it private?

1 Like

Support.

People value their privacy, most people don’t go around telling other people how much money they made exactly and when. Not on Roblox, not anywhere in the world. If you’re smart, you don’t either.

That’s because normally if you tell people how much you earn you either are showing off if you’re rich or wanting something if you’re poor. Your salary or your job can also be used to place you socially, and people don’t like that idea of being place.

This however, is Roblox. If you have a legitimate reason to want to know about how much money a studio makes, and market research is one they should be able to know.

Just to clarify though, this isn’t access to your entire fiscal flow, just your revenue. This also isn’t about how the money gets distributed as well. People can also only really guesstimate how much you make if you’re concerned about that, as they can’t account for revenue split and other expenditures such as ads, contractors, servers and the likes.

HOWEVER!!! I think this is more of a personal preference than something which is black and white, I can’t see good reason to keep it private, but I also think it’s wrong for information which you don’t want spread about you spread about you. I guess you could make it an opt out scheme then.

3 Likes