Adding a cage mesh to already done seperate meshes

So I’ve been interested recently in trying to make a more immersive Roblox experience, and in that I have rewritten and developed my own movement system which overrides Roblox’s entirely only using the I/O from the keyboard/controller to express the new movement. Now that’s been accomplished etc, and I’ve added in the torso and head movement I then was like “I want to use the new skinned meshes to make everything feel a lot better”.

As a note: I’m just using an example mesh set of Commander Wolffe, but I’d appreciate if anything a generalist response.

So this is my product before:

Now you will appreciate, when given a bending mesh, of course the original separate meshes do not know how to bend:

Now I’ll be honest, whilst I’d describe myself as intelligent in programming I have not particularly touched up on modelling or rigging. As such could anyone give me any advice or guidance (in very simple terms) about how I might achieve my desired result. In simple terms, I just need the mesh of the armour to bend with the character rig itself. The things have already been segmented, and I can tell this has something to do with bones and rigging however when I’ve gone into blender it just doesn’t particularly correlate how I can turn X to Y:

I’ve tried looking through the rigging a simple mesh tutorial etc, and to be honest with you it feels like a bunch of useless chatter that doesn’t particularly explain the necessities of each step or break it down in a user friendly manner.

if you turn the armor into layered clothing it should work.

you will need the model of the armor and then add an inner and outer cage + weighpaint + rig.

official Roblox documentation of the process