Adding an Advanced Color Picking Tool

When developing I center my work around color theory. I tend to focus on my choices of color more than anything else. This may be because I specialize in production design, but it’s also because aesthetics are a huge part of the game.

The current color picker is an RGB Color Wheel. I’m proposing to look into implementing a color gamut. Which in the RGB sense would be a triangle. This will take away showing colors that aren’t possible, as well as making selection easier. Before writing this I saw that I can move my cursor on the color wheel to at least 5 different places without the RGB values actually changing. Implementing a color gamut will remove the ability to select colors that won’t change the values, making the color tool more exact and easier to use.

This photo is an example of a color gamut that I use when adjusting lighting. A feature like this would be very helpful and could make the process of scavenging colors less time-consuming.
Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 3.58.41 PM
Cheers.

6 Likes

I do not understand how the color picker in your example works. It is focused round a color triangle with RGB scales along the edges?

I am not opposed to more advanced work flows. I just think that a color picker like the one you are showing is less usable than the existing one. I would imagine that the HSV(hue, saturation, and value) approach is one of the most intuitive ways to explore a color space and find the desired color.

A color gamut shows the complete set of colors that can actually be produced, and hides colors that can’t be produced. In terms of color theory, a gamut is the most practical and exact tool.

Cheers

When you say that a color cannot be produced, what exactly do you mean? It sounds like this is more for normalizing color ranges for specific hardware, or am I mistaken?

I’ve actually noticed the same issue when I was creating a scene for my own purposes. If you change the lighting of your game, some colors will register the same. The best example I can find would be neon parts where lighter colors will register the same as colors in precedence. This seems like a cool tool. I’ve always created my own palettes but, not many people know how to properly do that. +1

1 Like

On the current color wheel there are colors that don’t fall within the RGB range, those are the colors that can’t be produced. In exchange, those unproducible colors are replaced with the nearest producible color. A gamut simply takes away the problem of having non producible color.