Adding an Image Reference Mini-Window

Hi there.

As a builder, I am often building with some form of reference. Whether it be a real object/building or a mock design that somebody has drawn up for me to build. As someone who develops on a laptop, I often find it time-consuming and irritating to have to switch windows multiple times so I can build accurately.

This problem can be solved by adding an image reference mini-window, much like Terrain Editor. A window within Studio that allows you to open and view an image could help with many things, like getting key details in builds and more, without the going back and forth for those who develop with a single monitor.

3 Likes

Why not just have a browser tab open on the left and studio open on the right? A setup like that would be just as effective wouldn’t it?

Edit: I see what you mean, it would be difficult to build 1:1 without having a direct reference image on the same screen. Some worthy alternatives may be to look for a browser plugin that pins the browser on top, or to ALT+Tab over to your reference image.

2 Likes

You can create your own plugin to accomplish this. I don’t think the devs should (or will) spend their time on something like this that you can create yourself for the limited audience that it will appeal to.

If you are on windows I would recommend a 3rd party software called setuna2 that will allow you take screenshots and put it on top of other softwares with transparency. And if you are on mac there is snappy. We use them when referring concept arts.

5 Likes