Adding Onto Archiving Assets (Only Archive To Outside Sources)

As a Roblox developer, it is currently annoying and frustrating when a leaked asset is fully functional in a game besides mine. We already have an archiving feature for meshes, decals, and audio, but why not bump it up a notch? In other words, it’s archiving, but only to outside sources.

If there was a feature where developers can tick a checkbox or enable a setting to restrict a mesh, decal, or audio to a game via whitelist. Like archiving, only the owner of the asset would be able to access this setting. The asset would then fail to load in any other game not included in the whitelist, rendering it useless to the leaker and persons with the intention to use it for their own personal gain.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve not only my development experience, but a lot of other developers’ experiences, because it would help cut back on game or asset leakers. While it wouldn’t solve geometry leaks (i.e parts, unions, etc.), it would at least help secure assets that are heavily reliant on their meshes, decals, and audios.

I know from a mesh standpoint that some developers spend both time and money (for extremely expensive, but advanced software, like Autodesk) on making meshes and the mesh research and development (if they are basing it on a real prototype design), so having this feature would also prevent possible copyright claims and lawsuits.

Roblox already has the technology to archive assets, so I would presume that this concept is do-able.

I made this thread because recently, 92 assets from my game were stolen from some 13-year-old scrub who thought it would be funny to perform a mass leak on numerous games; his excuse and motive is to act as some type of law enforcement to ‘moderate’ games that he sees are toxic or bad, so he leaks them as his response.

This feature request is similar to the ‘Asset Locking Feature’ thread I made a year ago, but that was before archiving existed.

13 Likes