Addition of more Camera Projection types

As a long time developer, the default camera projection isn’t always enough in some scenarios when working with geometrical assets in the world space, for design purposes or for other niche cases.

I would like the ability for being able to switch between camera projection types, I’ll list a few that is sometimes needed when modelling things.

1. Isometric Projection

2. Orthographic Projection

3. Perspective (Default)

It would be awesome to be able to switch between these through a hotkey or some visual UI dropdown selection.

32 Likes

Thanks for this request nurokoi! If you are able to specify a bit more the use case you have for these, that would be helpful.

2 Likes

Totally agree.

Having camera styles like these would introduce a whole new world of experiences, like orthographic 3D platformers, or isometric RPG games.

You can currently simulate these styles, but it’s very hacky (setting the cameras FOV to 1 and being VERY far away). The issue with this is shadows don’t render from afar, so you sacrifice graphics. Would be awesome to see it supported natively.

6 Likes

Support, it would open up a lot of doors for people to further stylize and customize how players see the world, something I believe makes this feature both necessary and useful.

Edit: I should add that I support this feature request because I myself would love to use this, I’ve wanted to make platformers before using orthographic projection and have tried simulating it using the same trick @uglyburger0 mentioned, FOV 1 and being very far away, I scrapped that though because of the same issue he mentioned with graphics.

2 Likes

I also support a feature that allows us to switch between camera modes, but my ideal scenario would be one in which we can control the foreshortening of the viewport through a number value. There already is a post that explores this concept here that was made a few years ago.

I am aware that orthagonal views are not the same as isometric, and a mode specifically for isometric views would also be greatly appreciated.

A use-case for orthogonal and isometric views is a game I’m currently working on, in which I’m going to include a spectator mode. It’d be awesome if I could allow spectators to optionally view the map and players within through these modes for cinematic purposes.

Other use-cases include perspective-based puzzle games that would not otherwise be possible with the traditional perspective view using foreshortening.

I just got a game idea and an orthographic view is essential to it. Since it doesn’t exist yet, I’m stuck with using the hacky low field of view method or maybe a hacky viewport method. The use case is quite rare, but it would be cool if we eventually get it.

2 Likes

is anything similar to this in the works currently? orthographic projection would be very useful for what i have in mind.

1 Like