Addition of Post Templates

Hello everyone, Queued here. Today I want to discuss about a new feature that could be added to the developer forum. This feature would be a Quality of Life update, especially for those who frequently use Roblox’s Developer Forum. This feature is a template feature.

Disclaimer: Such a feature is not confirmed to be added soon, this is simply a discussion about if it were added: How it would function, it’s uses, et cetera…

Core Features

The template feature would allow users on the forum to save posts/drafts (created by them) as a template, which can be used for later usage. Templates would be stored in a new sub-section under the Activity tab located in a user’s profile page. Tags that are added onto a template page would be saved as well.

• Public-Use Templates: Users who have created a template have the ability to set their templates for public use. Of course, before being set to a public template, said template must undergo a reviewing process overseen by forum moderation staff. After then, will the template be set to public. Public templates can be saved by other users on the platform.
    (This implies that newly-created templates are automatically set to private)
  • Creating a post: If templates were added to the DevForum, where the ‘Create a new Topic’ prompt is, there is a drop-down. In this drop-down menu, there are two options: Create a new Topic from scratch and Create a new Topic using a template. The first option is the same as the ‘Create a new Topic’ button. If the second option is selected, a list prompt will appear on-screen in which the user can select a template from the list.
    (Multiple templates can not be selected at once)
  • New Preferences: In the preference page of the user’s profile, there will be a new setting. This setting as two options: Automatically creating a new topic from scratch or Automatically creating a topic from a template. The default setting is creating a new topic from scratch. If the alternative option is selected, as soon as the user creates a new topic, the aforementioned list prompt will appear on-screen automatically.
  • Template Customization: When creating a template, the user can select tags to add and create a custom name for their template. Even after created, the player can edit said template(s) by going to Profile > Activity > Templates and select a template to edit.

How to save a template

To save a template, to the right of the ‘Create a new Topic’ button there is another button named ‘Save Topic as a Template’. The other form of saving a topic is when the user closes a post, there is a new option on the prompt that asks the user to save their post as a draft. The other option being Save draft as a Template.

Poll

Would you frequently use the template feature?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Conclusion

To wrap up this topic, I believe the template feature isn’t entirely needed but if added, would greatly help and be appreciated by users, especially those who frequently use the forum (e.g. Dev Logs). I have some questions myself that I’d hope readers like you wouldn’t mind answering below in the comments.

1. How would you use templates?
  2. What other features should be added that I didn’t say, would improve such a feature?
  3. What forum ranks should be allowed to use templates?

And as always, take care and thanks for reading :cowboy_hat_face:

QueuedUsername

7 Likes

Discussions, feature requests and bug reports about the Developer Forum in #forum-feedback please. Read category guidelines or see if there is a more appropriate category before making a thread. I’ve recategorised this thread with regards to this.

2 Likes

Apologies for that, will do next time.

1 Like