Adobe Substance 3D Painter quality drops when Imported into roblox

I made this katana in blender it has 7k tris, I textured it in Adobe Substance 3D Painter. When I export it into roblox it’s extremely low quality, does anyone know how to keep the quality level from dropping that drastically.

The adobe Version:

The Roblox Studio Version:

The way I’m importing the texture is by using Surface Appearance and I’m uploading all the files that it request

I know it’s possible to achieve a texture of this quality because I’ve seen it first hand in several games like GPO: They are also using Surface Appearance to get this quality of texture.

2 Likes

Roblox’s maximum image size is 1024x1024, so my guess is that the purple example image was achieved by splitting the model into distinct parts in order to dedicate higher-resolution textures to smaller areas (or by simply UV mapping it in a way that favors areas with more detail)—if you split your sword into individual handle, hilt, and blade pieces and weld them together in studio, you can likely reach similar levels of detail as the example image

Originally I thought that was the issue as well but after trying this it didn’t affect it at all. I tested this on the handle by exporting it separately as an OBJ file into Adobe using this UV map

Once in Adobe I selected 1024 x 1024 and prepared to export

However once in roblox it turns out like:

1 Like

Is Substance applying an extra displacement that can’t be translated to Studio? It looks like the normal map in Roblox is the same, just without the extra layer of cloth wrinkles

I think it might be the way I’m exporting it from substance to roblox but im not sure what specifically. I followed this video How to Use the New ROBLOX Surface Appearance PBR Texture Feature Using Substance Painter - YouTube

Try to scale down the model. Texture getting stretched

like scale in down in roblox? I can’t scale it down too much otherwise It’ll be too small.

yeah small will improve ur texture

ye but that’s not the issue, the texture should look the same in adobe as it does in Roblox since I’m using 1024 x 1024 in both. I can only make it a little smaller and it hardly changes the quality.

I forgot to bake the texture, I fixed the issue