Aerodynamics Simulation

Hello!

I’m trying to make a semi-realistic aircraft system that works along the lines of a game called “Plane Crazy”

How can I do this?

Here’s a video of what I want to achieve (sorry for the bad quality) at the end it shows what is driving the control surfaces.

Thanks,

–Luke

2 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be a question being asked here…

From simply looking at the video, it seems like the plane is just an anchored part that is moved forward or backward relative to its look vector and rotates.

im asking how i could make simulated aerodynamics like this, since it does use control surfaces

I’m unfamiliar with “control surfaces”, sorry.

basically, its airfoils turned by some sort of motor, for example: a servo, in such a way that it re-directs air a certain way to rotate the aircraft in some way.

There is no air resistance in Roblox so the “Control Surfaces” aren’t actually functional, they are more decorative. I would focus more on what happens based on the movement of the control surface. For example, if the left wing flap is up (it should catch air resistance) and force the plane to drift left.

So you simply mark the position of the flap and make the plane respond how it would if air resistance actually existed.

Drift i suppose is incorrect for wing flap. Wing flap would probably make it roll left.

1 Like

I know about the control surfaces not exactly work how they do in real life, that’s why I asked this but thanks, how would I simulate lift?

The easiest way to make it is just using Prismatic Constraints, if you want to script it to make it smoother you should probably use Tween Service.

If both wing flaps are downward and your moving forward? I guess that’s how lift is controlled in a real plane. In your simulation you just adjust the lookVector upward (Rotate the nose up.)

How would I use prismatic constraints?

Also, I meant in general keeping the aircraft in the air.

Depends on if you’re using anchored parts or not. If not anchored, then you’d need to apply an upward force.

What force would I use? How do I balance it? etc.

I found a YouTube video for you about all constraints here’s the link: ROBLOX Building - How to use all Physics & Constraints - Part 1 - YouTube
Or a ready one just for elevator:
Create an Elevator Using Prismatic Constraints! - Roblox Studio Tutorial - YouTube
And as I said you can also script it to make it smoother.

2 Likes

VectorForce maybe. How much physics do you know? The force needs to counteract the force of gravity just to “float”. The force needs to be stronger than gravity to accelerate upward.

But what would I attach it to?

I’ve tried VectorForce’s before but it’s just a nightmare to try to balance it and how to balance it

Yeah its physics intensive to be sure. The cheaper route is just use anchored parts, rotate the plane according to flap positions (or control keys) and move it yourself using CFrame changes.

I’m trying to use physics for destruction as well, meaning that if a wing is taken off it’ll go into a spin, which happens in plane crazy aswell.