AI Tank Battle Test

AI combat test for the upcoming real-time tactics game.

10 Likes

Really cool. Two features that i would really like to see in this game is the ability to make the path or tell the entities where to go then launch the attack all at once. Also a dynamic economy system!

5 Likes

Thank you, however this is going to be a real-time tactics game. What this means is that the game will not include any economy systems and instead focus solely on controlling and managing units to win battles. You, the Player will be able to control multiple units from a top-down perspective at the same time and give them orders.

I think it would be pretty cool if like there was like explosive tank ammo that could make a explosion effect nearby tanks damaging them.

Ah yes the AoE is already planned. It was intended to make tank vs infantry combat more deadly towards the latter and punish players and AI alike for grouping them together too close. Although it will affect armored vehicles to a lesser extent.

Good work very interesting
I would personally recommend 1 tank each tank battalion to be designated as unit commander and dispense formation information to other AI

This kind of compartmentalizes your programmed behavior for command/control tactics. Some AI just examine orders and executes them, and fewer dispense higher level tactics to enforce.

1 Like

Indeed! This is a planned feature that will be implemented after the groundwork for command and control is done.

Looks amazing, curious if you have planned for the tanks to have also a machine gun as secondary weapon and make some tanks more effective vs infantry and others better vs vehicles. And also prioritization of targets depending on it’s “better” matchup.

Originally I intended for tanks to have machine gun mounts. Unfortunately I abandoned this idea after the hardship I went through to get the turret working in the first place. I don’t think I will implement this idea. Although you do present an important point that tanks should prioritize targets that they are more suited for. So that an anti-armor cannon doesn’t automatically target infantry when it was in range of a tank simply because it was closer and vice versa.

1 Like

Ah i feel you, as a solo dev (but my brother helps with build and design) there is only so much i can implement in a reasonable amount of time, i’ve scrapped a few cool ideas for not being able to take on the load of implementing them. Glad the target priority suggestion was useful, wish you the best!

1 Like

Combat stress test. 50vs50, 100 units in total. Maximum script activity occurs when both sides engage in combat and peak at 4%. When the tanks idle, their activity is at around 1%. When they move, their activity rises to around 2%.

I’ve also changed how the code works so now all of this is being executed from a single mastermind script instead of being executed from scripts inside of tanks.

Furthermore, updated the tanks to have different armor/AP values that change total damage dealt and received. This is why T-34s largely survive the battle against Panzerkampfwagens III’s (24 out of 50 survived).

The mastermind code uses information from the weapon module script which contains all the information about weaponry and different vehicles and their statistics such as armor and AP values. The mastermind checks the name of the vehicle and the weapon attached to it and gives it appropriate values from the module script. That, or takes its values like armor to calculate whether or not a round from another tank pierced it - Is this OOP?

Such wonderful toys. You really need a better sound for them guns. Other than that I like everything about it.

2 Likes