AlignOrientation in OneAttachment mode does not update regularly

Reproduction Steps
Use the following place, which simply has a part with an AlignOrientation, Attachment, and Script inside of it. The script “aims” the AlignOrientation’s CFrame towards the “TargetPart” object.

AlignOrientationBugReproduction.rbxl (34.2 KB)

Expected Behavior
The oriented part should consistently face towards the TargetPart at any given moment, especially since the axes of the AlignOrientation that is controlling it are clearly updating.

Actual Behavior
The AlignOrientation seems to only exert influence on the part when specific properties of the orientation are changed. For example, toggling the RigidityEnabled boolean will “wake up” the object and face it toward the TargetPart. The same can also be done by deactivating and reactivating the Enabled boolean.

Here is a video demonstration: AlignOrientation bug demonstration - YouTube

Workaround
I wanted to use an AlignOrientation since it is apparently the newfangled object that we’re supposed to use, and BodyGyro objects are supposed to be legacy or deprecated. Unfortunately, with the inconsistency of this object for a pretty standard use case, I can’t. Using a BodyGyro is my only other option if I want this rotation to be based on physics and not direct manipulation of the object’s CFrame.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-01-04 00:01:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-01-05 00:01:00 (-05:00)

28 Likes

How much Force are you using for the AlignOrientation?

Irrelevant. With RigidityEnabled, theoretically infinite force is applied to rotate the object. It’s also irrelevant because it does succeed in rotating the object, just not when the CFrame (PrimaryAxis and SecondaryAxis) are updated, only when certain other properties are updated. This limits the usefulness of the object in an arguably unexpected way. Did you watch the demonstration video?

2 Likes

I experienced similar behavior when using an AlignPosition as well. My current workaround is simply enabling and disabling the Enabled property every time the position is updated (as you described) but this feels rather inefficient and should not be necessary. Hoping to see a fix soon!

Thanks for the issue report! I have submitted an internal ticket for it.

2 Likes

Finally!! This has been a bug for ages!

I first experienced this bug in early October

2 Likes

Thanks God! It got reported a second time and this time it dragged the attention of the staff. Anyways, how do we know if the bug got fixed? We will get a response here? I am worried because there are some bugs that have been fixed and new features has been added without telling the developer anything. (Sometimes release notes are not even updated)

I hope this bug gets fixed quick because I want to just update such properties without needing to disable and enable the object.

3 Likes

Same, I want to use this AlignOrientation to phase out BodyGyro but it doesn’t work in OneAttachment mode. Glad to see that I’m not the only one facing this problem!

2 Likes

Seems as though this was fixed and re-broken sometime between now and then, because OneAttachment mode was working just a few days ago lol

3 Likes

Same problem here, I’m glad I found this.

Basically I’ve been using AlignOrientation to keep a boat from shaking/bouncing too much, thus giving it stability while on water.

However for me, it was working as intended days ago (2-3 days ago), yesterday I decided to check it and for some weird reason it wasn’t working as it was supposed to. I’ve decided to revert to past versions to test it and what was working days ago doesn’t work now.

1 Like

This issue stopped not long ago and now it doesn’t work again. I am in the process of updating my game and things were moving using the OneAttachment mode. Now, because of this issue they stopped working. At the momement looks like is just AlignOrientation and not AlignPosition. (By “stopped working” I mean that is not rotating)

5 Likes

Having the same issue with one mode of AlignOrientation. Any updates as to if it will be fixed would be nice.

This update yesterday may be causing the issue since they updated AlignOrientation:

3 Likes

This issue is resolved

I seem to still be experienced the same issue described above while on the latest version of Roblox studio, and I have been experiencing this issue for a while now.

The file in the original report is working fine. Can you post a new bug report? It may a different bug.

Was it working properly for you before this? If it was then it may be the issue above. If not read throught the other posts on this thread to see if any of the setting suggestions you’ve used could be the cause of the problem.

I’m not sure, because I was using body forces before and had to learn using the new vector objects which sound good but when I run into issues like these which make no sense they kinda suck. As I’ve said it has to be bug as when the property is updated/refreshed via studio properties tab, it starts working.