Allow AvatarType to be set in non game places

Currently, in order to change what AvatarType (R6 or R15) your place uses, you either have to have published the place to Roblox under a game, or you have to manually change the type. This can either be adding a model called “StarterCharacter” into StarterPlayer, or having a script change the character.

Over the past few months, I’ve been creating places with File>New instead of cluttering up the places I publish or creating a new place and publishing it. I noticed that you can’t change the AvatarType in these places since they are not published to Roblox. I am proposing that the settings be allowed in any place. This would make testing different AvatarTypes much easier in non published places.

Here is what the settings look like when in a non published place:

4 Likes

Early next year we will release the following changes:

• You will be able to archive games that you aren’t developing anymore. This will hide them from your Studio start page.
  • You will be able to save games against the cloud (but these saves will not be live to players). This will enable you to use Roblox as the source of truth for your projects instead of your local filesystem.

This means you will be able to tweak avatar type even before publishing your game. Will this solve your use case?

7 Likes

Those two features are great and will definitely help with the problem, but my main concern is that I think AvatarType has more to do with the place than the game. Places are where the actual gameplay happens and where the players spawn. Not only would it be more flexible to have the property be in place settings, it would also be more intuitive and accessible.

EDIT: Meant to be a reply to @Seranok