Allow custom branded off-site domains within Talent Hub

Currently, the Talent Hub’s off-site link rules are far too restrictive. You aren’t allowed to publish any custom website domains, which restricts you to either using the GitHub pages subdomain (which could contain the exact same content your own domain could, you can even link GitHub pages to custom domains) or having no website at all. Posting off-site links to your brand’s website on the Portfolios section within the DevForum was allowed before the Talent Hub existed.

I don’t get why restriction exists in the first place, it seems extremely unnecessary when Talent Hub is only available to 13+ accounts. I even in fact updated my page to include a link to one of my brand’s websites, since I really don’t understand why you could publish websites on GitHub Page’s domain, but not your own domain. This was actually approved for several weeks and visible in search, so I thought perhaps they look at links on a case-by-case basis, but today I was notified when going on the Creator Hub that it was moderated for “Directing users Off-Platform”.

2 Likes

Hey!

Thanks for writing this up - we realize the limits can be frustrating for well-intended creators. Ultimately, we’re trying to build a platform that is safe and civil for everyone, but also adapts its civility to the context the user is in at the time.

For example, we recently released age-restricted job posts, and are working now on relaxing some of the filters for these job posts as we can know that the viewers are of a certain minimum age.

Keep an eye out as we continue to walk in this direction and open Talent Hub up more, without compromising the safety of our users.

2 Likes