Allow developers to configure where Models insert into in Studio

Currently, when you insert models from the toolbox, it goes straight into Workspace. There are however, some objects that are automatically inserted into places other than Workspace, such as skyboxes and lighting effects inserting into Lighting instead.

Now, there are many models that are often designed to be inserted into games in specific places. Frameworks in ServerScriptService, storing maps in ServerStorage, client handlers in StarterPlayerScripts, you get the idea.

Often that not, many of these models come with instructions telling developers where they must be inserted for them to work. But it would be a lot easier if these models would just automatically insert into the places where they’re needed to be.

So, my suggestion…

• Allow developers to configure where their Models should automatically insert into when they are inserted from Studio’s toolbox.

• These would be pre-determined locations where such Models would normally be required to be inserted into to properly work, such as ServerScriptService, ReplicatedStorage, the StarterPlayerScripts, and others.

• The insert location could be configured either on the model’s configure page on the website or when uploading it to the website through Studio.

Here’s some examples:

• A shift to sprint script that inserts to StarterCharacterScripts
  • An admin commands loader inserted into ServerScriptService
  • A game framework that is automatically set up by inserting into ServerScriptService as well
  • Maps for a minigame going straight into ServerStorage
  • A custom loading screen going into ReplicatedFirst

Why?

• This is to make it easier to set up frameworks, libraries, and other Models that need to be inserted in a specific location in order to work.

• For example, scripts currently always insert into Workspace. It would save a lot of time if they would just insert into where they are intended to go to.
  • It would also put less burden on both the model creator and developers in issues where the model does not work as intended due to being inserted in the wrong place or when inexperienced developers do not know where to insert them.

14 Likes

I came across this old suggestion I made a year ago and realized there could be a potential issue with the model automatically inserting objects into different locations. So I think to properly disclose this, it should prompt something like:

• This model will insert into Lighting, ServerStorage, and ServerScriptStorage
2 Likes

Bad idea, many new developers who uses freemodels will always know that stuff they insert go into Workspace and many of these devs don’t even read DevForum alot and don’t know much about other services, so malicious actors can use this to hide scripts in bunch of random places like ServerScriptService or ServerStorage and change a script’s RunContext to “Server” so it will run regardless of location and boom, you have alot more backdoored places.

While i like this idea, they first need to fix some other issues with the toolbox and free model section of Roblox.

Edit: I didn’t realize this, but @ChromeEight suggestion could work too, just giving a warning prompt before inserting a model to know where each instance goes.

Just abolish free models all together, I know new developers have no experience in making games but why start at Roblox? Move to Unreal Engine or other platforms where you will actually make money and not have to work around Roblox’s favouritism toward mobile devices. In other words, what is so bad about naming folders/models and letting them do it themselves?, there’s no need to baby spoon them with everything.

1 Like

True, and i always thought Free Models we’re outdated. Also term “Free Model” sounds so unprofessional, same as “Uncopylocked”
Like in other engines, they have terms like Asset Store and Open Sourced Project which sounds alot more professional.

Also i actually feel like Uncopylocked places have no use other than to bad actors to share stolen places or open source stuff (which the second one is the main thing)
Maybe in 2008 uncopylocked places we’re both “games” and “editable” things but that’s probably because FE didn’t exist back then, so it just uncopylocking meant you save yourself the hassle of someone save_instance()'ing it or just to make your game moddable, but now with roblox taking security more seriously this feature is outdated and should be removed/deprecated and another solution added for open sourcing games

Still i am used to Free Models, Toolbox and Uncopylocked places that if they change or remove them i’d feel upset but i will understand them somewhat.

Other places allow you to sell your assets, but if Roblox did that I know for a fact there will be so many more DMCA takedown notices for Roblox to even handle. Why would you use toolbox models when you can learn coding yourself and make a functioning piece of code unlike those stupid free models. Seriously, you roll the dice in them working as intended.

I don’t mind people using free models downloaded off open source websites such as Sketchfab (with proper license such as commercial use allowed). I coded everything in my own game myself, anybody who finds a good mechanism for their game WILL NOT share it thus only bad models remain on the toolbox.

1 Like

No one is gonna open source entire game but there things like ACS which makes me wonder if it’s actually genuine or leaked or stolen from some other game and rebranded. Since it’s codebase is so messy, uncommented, full of exploits that it’s probably was made for someone’s game until a rogue dev downloaded a copy and put it on the toolbox for anyone to grab.
I mean, toolbox is full of stolen stuff or scripts made by children or stuff from the old era of roblox, not once there is a item on the toolbox that is well-documented and organized, since for these things #resources:community-resources exists

So yeah, the toolbox is just a relic from the past and just exists as no professional developer will ever use it outside of their own models