Allow developers to filter searches for audio by Roblox

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to search for audio in the toolbox while ensuring proper usage rights. At the moment we have the “Include unverified creators” checkbox in the search options but this (while useful in other search categories) does not help solve the issues faced when searching for usable audio.

This still shows non-Roblox audio when disabled!

This becomes especially prevalent when designing for XBOX where you are expected to prove that you have the right to use these assets commercially. The audio catalog already has fairly poor search functionality and the metadata included in uploaded user audio often has nothing to do with the search parameters (unlike Roblox audio library assets which include descriptive keywords.) This often floods the search with audio that is clearly unusable either due to non-relevancy or lack of proper rights and leads to a poor developer experience in which you are required to sift through audio you know is not usable to find something that is relevant and is properly licensed.

If this were to be addressed, it would hopefully provide an easier method of adhering to copyright laws and more efficiently adding relevant audio to your games (which is already an inherently lengthy process regardless.)

Cheers!

1 Like

Does inputting “Roblox” in the search by creator box (on the marketplace or the toolbox) still occasionally show non-Roblox assets?

2 Likes

Haha, I’ll admit I never thought of that! The toolbox view in studio (which I was referring to in this post) is a little less clear about this:

I’m not sure how many people use the web marketplace but anecdotally most people I’ve talked to use the studio interface so perhaps this is more of a case for adjusting the UI for clarity and to better match the web UI. :smile:

I’ll mark your response as the solution in case anyone wondering about this stumbles upon it and I’ll leave the post as-is in case any engineers are interested in the motivation behind the suggestion. Thanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.