Allow Devs to turn off Xbox Crossplay

Sure, you could argue objectivity, but often times your preference and time will override that which is why I and some of my friends do fine with a controller even in PC fps games like CoD or Titanfall. Like I said, my main argument was the broad statement. A lot of people on this thread just got nitpicky over my single fps statement and ignored my general argument as a whole.

If the developer gives enough sensitivity options you can turn just fine and you’ll become accustomed to the timing in aiming so you don’t sacrifice fine movement. Even on kbm many games whether its an fps or rhythm game my DPI is usually way higher than others and I do just fine because I adjusted to it. (And my small mouse space forced me to)

It definitely should be optional, but I find it being a player’s choice much better.

I don’t think you understand. I’m not trying to argue that you, personally, are better with kbm than controller. Each individual person is good at whatever they’re good at. The vast majority of people are significantly better at aiming with kbm than controller. This is a fact. Your individual experience does not change this fact.

Considering this fact, I believe games where one input method provides an advantage over another should not be forced into cross-platform play.

Yes.

Well I already support it being optional. I just think if I want to open my range of players to play with to both who are also willing, I should be able to than a developer telling me no.

Question on that too: Does this not apply when reversed? You can argue controllers are better for racing games. Any kbm player might struggle as theres a lack of pressure sensitivity. And not everyone will have a controller.

Yes, definitely. Racing games, platformers, etc, should not be forced into crossplay.

2 Likes

Could we please keep this somewhat relevant to the thread/

We all agree forced cross play is a bad idea, right?

1 Like

This already exists in the form of -
10 AM

So Im not really sure what more needs to be done. Publishing a place file twice isn’t the worst thing in the world as you shouldn’t be uploading straight to your production game for every minor change that often once you’re released.

Make a Game
– Place A is computer only
– Place B is console only
you dont even have to change any code to do this

1 Like

ty for reading the thread <3

Sass aside, this option is actively discouraged by roblox.

No its not. Roblox isnt going to solve an issue if its already solved.

The reason that this was made the default is because roblox players expect to be able to play together regardless of platform.

Finally roblox was able to bridge the gap between pc/mobile/console. While it may not mean a lot for the average player, it is a huge benefit now that players dont have to worry if their friend happens to be online on their pc or console.

1 Like

Requires a custom matchmaking system to sort players into appropriate places. Platform restrictions aren’t really useful except preventing access to the entire game via the start place settings.

It doesnt require a custom matchmaking system. If two different places belong to the same Game, the website and console page will show the proper Place within the Game. No need to teleport at all because the place id destination is determined by the website/browser

These settings are per Place, not per Game.

I really don’t think there are enough players online at a given time on platforms other than PC to be able to do this yet. Roblox is primarily a PC game, and other platforms are limited in what they can do. I’d hold off on this one, but it’s a good idea.

I remember seeing somewhere that for a lot of developers their primary source of playerbase often comes from console players.

This is incorrect. PC is ~50% of the player base rn.

1 Like

No staff response in 13 days to a fairly popular thread? :confused:

The thread is already solved? Make two places in your game with the following access settings:

Based on the player’s platform, Roblox will automatically display and matchmake them into the correct place. Since these two places are within the same game, a player on Xbox who moves over to PC will still have access to all of their purchases and saved items.

2 Likes

Thank you for this, wasn’t aware this existed. Its still a poor solution if you already divide your game into different places w/ universe system but alright. It’ll probably make platform specific bugs easier to patch w/o shutting down all players.

Anywhere I can find the specific documentation about this? I’m curious to know how it’ll work w/ the universe system and if I did the same thing w/ other platforms.

AFAIK there is no documentation, as the Wiki page on Games doesn’t mention it – I was re-iterating what @GollyGreg said, as this was the first time I’d heard of it too. It’s likely only well-known by engineers and the first developers to have their games ported to XBox.

This is still terrible :confused:

Will there be anything like this in the near future? Releasing a new game soon and I really don’t want Xbox, Mobile and PC mixing :confused:

1 Like