Allow full control of the "Customize Shortcuts" feature in Studio

As a Roblox developer, it is fully impossible to customize your keybindings in Studio.

I’ve recently come into possession of a Razer Naga Trinity, a mouse with interchangeable side buttons (2, 7, and 12) for gaming reasons. I noticed that Studio had the option to change shortcut bindings and I wanted to customize studio so some of the options would be more accessible with a click of a side button, and I’ve noticed a few things:

• you can’t remove any bindings at all without having to restore to default,
  • there’s no way to create a keybinding for plugins

It is a problem, especially the lack of ability to remove keybindings at all because users who truly want to optimize their workflow can’t do it without spending hours on testing which bindings would be best for them without being able to bind the plugins they find most helpful! People with slightly advanced hardware also can’t fully take advantage of it either.

If Roblox were to address this, it would help people with their productivity as well as allow users to pick which tools are important to them and which keys would it be under. It would also encourage users to turn an application they spend hours upon hours in to make it truly theirs.

2 Likes

Hey @Krunnie, you should be able to remove bindings without having to restore defaults. Can you try double clicking the keybind in the “Customize Shortcut” window followed by right clicking and selecting “Clear Shortcut”?

6 Likes

Oh, it worked. I didn’t realize this was a thing as I tried to do it with the traditional “highlight and press backspace” method. Any chance that could be a thing as well?

2 Likes

The problem with that is we want to enable developers to bind any key, including the “backspace” key

7 Likes

Perhaps there should be a Clear button to the right of the input field instead so it’s more clear how to reset a binding (e.g. like the X on the instance input field in the properties widget). I was briefly confused by this a long time ago when I first found this window.

@Krunnie you can already bind plugins if developers implement plugin actions properly.

7 Likes