Allow full editing of the Ribbon Bar

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to change how the ribbon is lined up.

The Ribbon can already be rudimentarily edited using the StudioRibbonBar.xml file in the Studio installation folder. This allows me to create much better tooling in the Ribbon

Custom Plugin Management tab made by messing around with the XML File.

However there are three main issues with the currently implemented solution;

1. Lua Builtin provided Group and Action tags cannot be overriden or removed, no matter how much I try.
  2. Cloud/User plugins that aren’t natively referenced in the exe are sandboxed to the plugin tab
  3. The XML is overridden every update forcing the user to keep a backup of the RibbonBar.xml file

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to remove tools from the ribbon bar that I practically never use (such as the transform tool), and replace it with much more reasonable actions for my workflows (such as plugin debugging).

My proposed solution here would be to create a settings file in /Roblox, maybe RibbonBarSettings.xml that holds your custom ribbon bar settings, such as plugins being moved around or new tabs.

18 Likes