Allow manipulation to terrain's level of detail intensity

I’m unsure if I used the right term, but I think I should be able to limit the removed quality of terrain via level of detail in my game.

At the moment, it’s impossible for me to control the visual quality of terrain in my game. My game uses entirely terrain for its world, and since it’s fairly open and there’s not a lot of hills and stuff to occlude distant terrain. As a result, distant mountains and other notable features of terrain lose their quality to an extent that ruins the depth or realism I am trying to get into my game. Additionally, fog that is within radius to hide this detailing on an adequate level is not an option as any fog causes the world to appear incorrectly due to its open style.

For perspective, the world is 4096x of terrain. Here’s an image of me looking at a mountain from half way across the map (I am in the direct center of the map, the mountain is on the far side).

See this image

This quality loss is very degrading to the experience and I would at least like to be able to increase the detail by one or two levels.

11 Likes

Oof, yeah that looks really bad :confused:

2 Likes

Perhaps this could be a parameter? Noobs might try to set it super high thinking they’re just improving the quality of their game when in reality they’re killing the performance. Maybe it could be set within a range?

2 Likes