Allow Multiple Owners

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to clearly give credit to other developers who helped make the game. From my own experience, I know that many people only read the text underneath a game or group’s title saying who owns the group; however, there are cases in which multiple people own games, groups, and other things. Often, users will give credit to people in the description of games and groups or in the actual game, but it is rather rare (from what I have seen) for players to read these unless the text is displayed the moment they join the game.

Obviously, what I am suggesting is the option of having multiple people listed there. The current owner could choose who is put on the list. This gives the clear credit owners deserve. If you want to, I suppose you could let the player choose a character (or multiple) that separates the names, such as a comma with a space after it.

Thanks for reading!

10 Likes

This brings up a few questions from me:

1. How is this an improvement on having a Credits GUI on the game’s intro screen?
  2. How can the appearance of the owners be made more prominent than simply having their names in the description?
  3. Will crediting a player give that player special access or abilities on that place?
4 Likes

I’m glad you asked those questions because I forgot to answer them. :stuck_out_tongue:

For the first, I don’t really have a big point to say it is better, but one of the small things I can say is that not all developers have these. I know what you mean, though. As for the second question, it seems rather uncommon for players to read descriptions—they often just hop into the game, and if they do, many seem to skim through. Finally, the third question: I didn’t think about that! That actually is a good idea. Players would be able to configure others’ places, for example. They would do everything any owner of a game/place would be able to do. As for groups, you would have the highest rank in the group and be able to change the description, change permissions, give group payouts, and anything else technical owners can do. It would be beneficial. Thanks for mentioning that!

3 Likes

While this is an understandable problem, the effort behind the scenes required for this would be kind of a pain. The demand for this isn’t significant enough for them to allocate the resources to do it. Collaborative effort should instead be focused onto Groups. You can give credit in the description or have group roles that signify the role of developers in your project.

6 Likes

First of all, big fan of you! It’s really cool to see you reply to something I wrote!

I think it’s a rare occurrence for everyday players to read descriptions and check groups for ranks; if you go to a group wall, for example, with a development team, you will often see replies along the lines of “Hey, [name of the owner of the group], could you add this?” I know what you mean, though, that there isn’t enough demand and that it may be not be easy to do.

3 Likes

Hold on, not so fast CloneTrooper. This kind of intrigued me. Changing the code wouldn’t be that hard or complicated.

For example:

Group/Game Owner Name: Name would simply change to multiple if more than one owns the group/game and give them full access to everything in it.

Group/Game Multiple Owner Feature: I feel as if they are going to add an owner, it should be irreversible. Coming up with this part of the idea would mean that if the original owner has a falling out with the other owners they can’t just start kicking/deleting them as if they were the only one who spent time on the group/game.

6 Likes

Oh, didn’t think about the last one! I suppose that, too, is an advantage. :smiley:

3 Likes

This would also force users to try and get along again. I feel as if an extra button would be needed as well in-case a user wants to drop out themselves. Groups already do kind of have this feature but it will need to be modified.

5 Likes

I also think users should have an option in their settings regarding who can make them owner for games in case people make bad games and make others owners to defame them (friends only, everyone, et cetera).

1 Like

Yeah but my point is: Is it worth the trouble for what should be a minor inconvenience?

I see what you mean. Both of you have valid points, so I’m not sure what side I’m leaning towards anymore, but I think I am a bit towards multiple owners as a future update, thought it may not be a high priority.

2 Likes

I agree with Clone, while this is a really nice idea it’s basically not needed in my opinion. If the sole purpose is recognition then in that case making a group is a better idea!

3 Likes

No, it really would. No feature is “easy” when you’re scaling to millions of users. Even underscores in usernames took like six months, not including time spent before the announcement. This is not subjective.

True.