Allow plugins to save cloud settings

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to synchronise plugin settings between two Studio installs on different machines.

Plugins already have tne ability to save settings locally to your machine using Set and GetSetting, however this is tied to a specific install on Roblox.

This feature request suggests that plugins should be able to save settings in the cloud that can then be accessed across multiple Studio installs on different machines where the same user is logged in.

Lets assume we store script snippets into a Plugin Settings, currently, the developer would lose these snippets if they were to move to another machine or hard-reinstall Studio.

With Cloud Settings, however, it would allow them to keep their snippets saved and have it ready to go on a fresh install of Roblox

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would improve user experience if the developer suddenly switches device or has to fully reinstall Roblox by deleting Local/Roblox.

API suggestion

plugin:GetCloudSetting(name)
plugin:SetCloudSetting(name, value)

I imagine this would only be usable in “cloud” plugins, not local plugins

12 Likes

This would be extremely useful for plugins that might need features like ‘saving and loading’. I am working on a 2D level designer plugin for my custom game engine and this feature would easily achieve this!