Allow previewing rendering while debugging

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to follow the evolution of my objects in my 3D tab while debugging.
For example, if I change a CFrame of an object in a line while debugging (pressing F10), I want to see the immediate result of this change in the render window.

However, I get “Rendering is paused for debugging”:

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my (and everyone’s) development experience because currently, I can only debug “blindly”. Being able to keep up with visual changes during debugging will generate an exponential gain in productivity for all developers.

9 Likes

I would at least like Studio to freeze rendering on the last frame before the breakpoint instead of showing this grey screen.

It would be even more helpful if studio could render and show a new frame after each step in the debugger.

I was debugging some nested UI constraint stuff yesterday and because I couldn’t see the results in the viewport after my first breakpoint, but before some other code that would change the rendered result, I had to guess where things were using the property panel to see what was going wrong.

8 Likes

I agree that this would be very useful. Currently creating a lighting system and it seems that even viewing the explorer will not work as the properties of the objects I’m editing does now show.

@IcyTides
Will this one day be implemented?

1 Like