Allow Studio access to the MemoryStore production data

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to use the same MemoryStore for both Studio and Roblox Player, as informed in the documentation.

However, Studio shares the same DATASTORE that is accessed from the Player.
Why doesn’t the same happen with MEMORYSTORE?

Therefore, I ask here to consider having the same policy for the MemoryStore, that is, Studio and Player must share the same database.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because this will make it possible to debug the MemoryStore in the same way that it can be done today with the DataStore, thus maintaining a standardization with regard to databases.

6 Likes

Hi, can you share more details what issue you are debugging? why it requires access to production data?

I need to debug the script using the memory store production data, in the same way that is currently possible for data store.

1 Like

This was actually made as a security precaution so that you don’t accidentally start editing live data while testing in Studio, but currently there is no way to switch off this sandbox which I believe to be the main issue, I currently use MemoryStoreService for short bans (<1 hour, any longer is unreliable due to the common-enough MemoryStore wipes that happen during maintainance), I currently have to navigate to the ‘real’ Roblox experience to use this system, otherwise it’s stuck in the sandbox in Studio.

1 Like

The rules should be the same for both MemoryStore and DataStore.

1 Like

I would argue not so, DataStoreService was created in a different ‘era’ of Roblox, DataStoreService was heavily limited and was merely a key-value store. A second cloud-synced DataStore specifically for Studio would have probably been an absurd idea for the time. Roblox now has the resources to do just that for MemoryStoreService and they took that opportunity, the only issue is that they didn’t make it toggleable.

By the way, it’s industry standard to use a seperate database for development and production

We’ll let the Roblox team judge this.