Allow Studio plugins to request HTTP Service access without enabling HTTP Service for the entire game

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to create a plugin that uses HTTP Service without forcing the game developer to enable the HTTP Service for the entire game, along with all of the other plugins may be installed.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my game / my development experience because it’s hardly (from a security perspective) worth enabling HTTP Service for all scripts and plugins for the sake of features in an individual plugin. It is also rather tedious and cumbersome to have to enable the HTTP Service across many projects (as many people edit a multitude of places on a regular basis) in order to allow a specific plugin to function.

Ultimately, what this usually means is that plugins don’t use HTTP Service at all, as most users won’t want to deal with the hassle and potential downsides of repeatedly enabling HTTP Service, globally, for each game they use the plugin for.

I feel like allowing plugins to individually request this permission from Studio would allow plugin developers more frequently create useful features that implement HTTP Service.

18 Likes

This would also help with a few security issues. If some malicious script wants to use HTTP it’ll have to make itself known and ask for access. Support.

5 Likes

We’re working on a plan to address this. Thanks for the feedback!

11 Likes

Is there an update on this? My plugin is currently in the works and requiring all my users to enable HTTP services for the entire game just for my plugin seems a bit ridiculous.

2 Likes

We are currently in the implementation stage of this project. You can expect it to ship sometime in the next two months.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.