Allow the EUR/GBP symbol to be shown in GUI

[quote] This is because ROBLOX currently only supports ASCII characters.

The only real fix is to add proper UTF-8 support. [/quote]

ASCII character 156 is the £ symbol. ROBLOX only supports the printable characters set, which is ASCII codes 32-126, last I checked.

The only reason you should need the £ character is if you want to use GBP as some sort of game currency. As it is with all money related characters. Unfortunately, the cost greatly outweighs the benefit.

Personally, in my opinion the only reason the sign is available to players is so that users can display 'R’ in a GUI. You’re not here to simulate real-life, you’re here to make games. You’re charging players in virtual currency, so you may as well include a virtual-currency in your game.

Right now, ROBLOX uses ASCII. ASCII uses 7 bits. To support symbols such as £ they would need to switch to using 8 bits. Maybe in this day and age you don’t think that’s too much of an issue, but it becomes one when you have a lot of text. Let’s take a ‘TextLabel’ for example, they allow 1024 characters (I believe.) in them at 7 bits per character, if we were to fill that box up as it is now we’d be using 7168 bits. However, if we decided to switch to UTF-8 it’d require 8 bits per character, again if we filled up the whole box we’d be using 8192 bits. That’s over 1024 more bits than with ASCII. This may not seem like a big difference but if you were to role that out across all of ROBLOX you’d be have much more data sent to and from the server.

What you’re asking for is a niché that in reality, just isn’t worth it.

[quote] ASCII character 156 is the £ symbol. ROBLOX only supports the printable characters set, which is ASCII codes 32-126, last I checked. [/quote] This is extended ASCII.

To extend on woot3’s response: ASCII only covers the 7-bit characters 0-127. Anything else is an extension. UTF-8 works as an extension of ASCII that uses the characters 128-255 to represent parts of Unicode code points, so ROBLOX can’t use any other extension of ASCII without making UTF-8 support impossible.

[quote] The only reason you should need the £ character is if you want to use GBP as some sort of game currency. As it is with all money related characters.
[/quote]
Not what I wanted to do at all actually, I just want to be able to make a money math game

It will be able to practice change (e.g. someone buys 2 items 1 is £1.31 and the other is £2.34, how much change will Bob get from a £5 note? Will Bob be able to even afford the items? No I don’t want to use $ either because I have another idea in-mind for that with exchange rates.

E.g. Bob brought a pair of headphones in America for $50 the current exchange rate is $1 = £1.20. Calculate how much they cost in GBP £

As for the rest of it:

I think it’s more simply just a case of ASCII has , and ROBLOX has ASCII, so ROBLOX gets for free.

Files, memory, networks… essentially everything has 8 bits as the minimum addressable amount of memory. Roblox save file formats (both XML and binary) use one-byte-per-character strings already. Lua allows 8 bits per character in strings. So to my knowledge ROBLOX is not taking advantage of the fact that ASCII characters require only 7 bits anywhere.

[quote] The only reason you should need the £ character is if you want to use GBP as some sort of game currency. As it is with all money related characters.
[/quote]
Not what I wanted to do at all actually, I just want to be able to make a money math game

It will be able to practice change (e.g. someone buys 2 items 1 is £1.31 and the other is £2.34, how much change will Bob get from a £5 note? Will Bob be able to even afford the items? No I don’t want to use $ either because I have another idea in-mind for that with exchange rates.

E.g. Bob brought a pair of headphones in America for $50 the current exchange rate is $1 = £1.20. Calculate how much they cost in GBP £[/quote]

Do what KhanAcademy does and have an image of the currency next to the text box. i.e.:

That will also prevent the annoyance of “I got the correct number, but I forgot to put a dollar sign in front of it, so it was wrong!”

[quote] [quote=“woot3” post=132170]The only reason you should need the £ character is if you want to use GBP as some sort of game currency. As it is with all money related characters.
[/quote]

E.g. Bob brought a pair of headphones in America for $50 the current exchange rate is $1 = £1.20. Calculate how much they cost in GBP £[/quote]

Do what KhanAcademy does and have an image of the currency next to the text box. i.e.:

That will also prevent the annoyance of “I got the correct number, but I forgot to put a dollar sign in front of it, so it was wrong!”[/quote]
Look how low quality that image is, no thank you. As with any image it’s going to be awkward and not as smooth as a text label and it also depends on the GPU setttings as mentioned. I’m going to have 2 separate TextBoxes one with the pound sign already in and one for your answer, so that annoyance doesn’t happen. Going to clearly state they don’t need the pound sign in the answer box as well.

That is an example. Excuse me for not spending an hour designing a perfect interface for your adding money game.

If I recall correctly, you posted this thread because you couldn’t put pound signs in a text box. You’d have to use an image label next to the… wait that’s exactly why I suggested you do.

[quote]
Look how low quality that image is, no thank you. I’m going to have 2 separate textboxes one with the pound sign already in and one for your answer so that annoyance doesn’t happen. Going to clearly state they don’t need the pound sign in the answer box as well. [/quote]

For the time being could you not use a higher resolution image?

That is an example. Excuse me for not spending an hour designing a perfect interface for your adding money game.

Two TextLabels actually, you’re wrong. One with the £ sign in Text not an image label. I need to be able to fade the colour of the text which I can’t do with an ImageLabel.

In general it will look a lot smoother to use a TextLabel other an image label because different size monitors can make image labels such as a currency icon, which will be relativity small hard to see.

Two TextLabels actually, you’re wrong. One with the £ sign in Text not an image label. I need to be able to fade the colour of the text which I can’t do with an ImageLabel[/quote]

What?

Yes you certainly can. ImageTransparency + ImageColor3.

Also, “One with the £ sign in Text not an image label.” What is it exactly that you can’t get through that thick skull of yours? You can’t put the pound sign in a text label. That’s why you made this thread, remember?

Two TextLabels actually, you’re wrong. One with the £ sign in Text not an image label. I need to be able to fade the colour of the text which I can’t do with an ImageLabel[/quote]

What?

Yes you certainly can. ImageTransparency + ImageColor3.

Also, “One with the £ sign in Text not an image label.” What is it exactly that you can’t get through that thick skull of yours? You can’t put the pound sign in a text label. That’s why you made this thread, remember?[/quote]
Hence the point in this post, to get it enabled so I can use it. ImageColor3 only changes the saturation which is of no help

Does this red hat look green to you?

[quote]

[/spoiler]

Does this red hat look green to you? [/quote]

As pointed out earlier on the thread, the reason we don’t have pound symbols in text GuiObjects is because the way ROBLOX set up their text system. “to get it enabled” just can’t happen. They would have to completely redo that system in order to fix the problem, which is way too much work for something you can easily solve on your own. The reality is that ROBLOX isn’t going to bother fixing this, not any time soon at least, and certainly not soon enough for you to get your project done in time for the contest. You will have to settle for the solution I gave you if you want to be able to do this by the time the contest is up.

As for it not tuning green, that’s expected. You’re not doing it right – the hat has to be white for Color3 to work 100% with it. You need to go into PDN or Photoshop and make it black and white and then ensure that the part you want to change the color of is purely white. For instance, with this font sheet:

(notice the letters are white), I can make them appear any color I wish:

Hey Echo, did you know GUI image sharpness is determined by your GPU’s texture settings? Mini-mapping I believe.

So using an image in place of text is not viable, because it can become distorted based on what sort of settings a player is running.

[quote] Hey Echo, did you know GUI image sharpness is determined by your GPU’s texture settings? Mini-mapping I believe.

So using an image in place of text is not viable, because it can become distorted based on what sort of settings a player is running. [/quote]

Your options are:
No pound symbol
Pound symbol that’s potentially blurry

Which do you prefer? anon80475429 is doing this for the educational GGC – ROBLOX isn’t going to just “enable” this – they’d have to rework the text system. Those options above are his only options.

[strike]Also, you’re wrong anyway. My android displays that text at full quality with no loss at all.[/strike]
Edit: I went back just to clarify and that wasn’t the case. Though, the loss was so minute that I didn’t even notice it until I was looking for it. Also, you’ve got to be kidding me.

If my device displays like that, is a little quality loss really an issue? I mean, look at my character on there – it’s hideous. Even a text label would look bad on that device.

[quote] Hey Echo, did you know GUI image sharpness is determined by your GPU’s texture settings? Mini-mapping I believe.

So using an image in place of text is not viable, because it can become distorted based on what sort of settings a player is running. [/quote]

Also, you’re wrong anyway. My android displays that text at full quality with no loss at all.[/quote]

“it can become distorted based on what sort of settings a player is running.”

I go and manually turn my settings down my GPU’s settings, and image GUIs become an ugly blurry mess.

How about all special characters? :swag:

[quote] [quote=“Kevin” post=132206]Hey Echo, did you know GUI image sharpness is determined by your GPU’s texture settings? Mini-mapping I believe.

Also, you’re wrong anyway. My android displays that text at full quality with no loss at all.[/quote]

“it can become distorted based on what sort of settings a player is running.”

I go and manually turn my settings down my GPU’s settings, and image GUIs become an ugly blurry mess.[/quote]

I really don’t know why you two are trying to fight with me (referring to anon80475429 thanking the post as well). You have no other option. Get over it. ROBLOX can’t and won’t magically enable this – they have a whole system to redo. If they decide to change it, it won’t be done in time for the GGC contest. That is 100% accurate – the both of you need to stop trying to fight reality and use ImageLabels for this. I have been kind enough to continually offer my support and explanation on helping you get around this issue – I could have just stopped at my original post and let you suffer, but I didn’t. Despite me continually helping you to get around this issue and explaining anything you didn’t understand, you are still being ridiculous about it. This is reality and this is how it is. You have to use ImageLables and there is no alternative.

@Ripull: I went back and edited my other post. Keep in mind though that even if image quality is lost, text quality is also lost. And I seriously doubt that if my device looks like it does on my android, image loss will be the least of my worries.

Every time i try to make $ in the in game chat, i allways get this “$3”

I get sometimes something similar, due alt+gr = 3 in ROBLOX (speaking of an AZERTY keyboard atm) and you need alt+gr for eg [,],#,|,´~,…