Allow uploader to find duplicate audio

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to find any duplicates of the audio I’m uploading to the site.

At the moment, it’s incredibly difficult to search for the audio you’re looking for, and this often results in countless R$ wasted on duplicate audio uploads. To solve this, I would like to have an option to reverse audio search (similar to Google’s reverse image search):

If Roblox were to add this, developers would be able to save money on audio uploads and prevent duplicate uploads.

Also, I’m not entirely sure how the backend system works so this is just speculation, but I assume it would also help reduce the amount of data on Roblox’s servers.

6 Likes

Most duplicates will be of copyright infringing music. Sites which link to places to tell you where to get copies of illegal content such as pirate bay get blocked in the UK. Can’t support.

That judgement seems flawed. Roblox links to audio assets on its Library already. If your statement was accurate, they’d already be in trouble.

If the content is allowed on the website, Roblox is free to reference and recommend it as they please until the copyright owner explicitly asks for it to be taken down.

2 Likes

As far as the actual suggestion, it would require audio fingerprinting. The database would be rather large and it could potentially use a lot of processing power- not to mention the processing power required to fingerprint the massive amount of existing audio.

It’s a good suggestion, but I don’t think it’s likely that Roblox will implement it. It’s not as simple as you think it is and it’s not necessary enough to warrant that use of resources.

1 Like

Assuming you’re not uploading music, why not just pay for professional audio? If you’re paying to upload royalty free audio you might aswell take some from here.

I think there is a difference between turning a blind eye to something and making it more accessible/encouraging it…

Not if all audio are treated equally? It’s not like they are giving any additional focus to any specific audio in this case. Literally just a more advanced database search.

If you are uploading sound you actually have specific permission to use, unless someone else has had permission for it too, it will have be an illegal upload. The use cases where 2 people have specific permission is so low that building a system to do this seems a bit like a waste of time which could be spent on improving other things like groups!

Yes, some music is royalty free and use is allowed freely, but surely a search is good enough for most of those? I think it is a small minority of music uploads which are actually of this nature as the vast majority imo from observation must be illegal.

I think you’re mis-understanding the rules. Roblox providing you to a link of an Audio Asset on the Website is not the same as Pirate Bay taking you to a place to download a song. And even at that, taking you to the place to download it, isn’t an illegal act. The act of downloading it is. So, based on the fact you can’t download a Roblox Audio Asset, I’m 99.9% sure it doesn’t fall into Pirate Bay levels of issues.

1 Like

That was an extreme example of how the legal interpretation could fall if it did become a problem.

Pretty sure it is illegal.

It’s about supply/giving influence. Should telling someone how to kill someone in detail be legal?
Someone showed me a few years ago that you could. Not sure the case now, but it’s still illegally being played if you go and listen to it in a game and it’s not licenses.

I don’t like this solution. It’s addressing a symptom of a larger problem: audio costs are too much of a blocker for developers. For my Incubator project, I was going to buy a $25 sound pack off of another site to use in my game. I looked into what it would cost to upload those sounds to Roblox, and I would have had to buy another $25 worth of Robux.

Any sound I buy from other sites / contracting other developers costing me 2x what I normally pay because I have to upload it to Roblox is insane. If someone who’s been on the platform for 10 years can’t afford uploading a sound pack, how do we expect new developers who don’t have any income whatsoever to be able to upload sounds? The current upload costs for audio are absolutely unacceptable – duplicate audio or not. The floodgate for sound uploading has to change.

4 Likes

My only issue now, is, if we do change, do we get a refund for prior upload purchases?
Probably not. And that’s where the outrage comes.

No. We don’t retroactively pay developers more USD when the DevEx rates increase or refund BC because we removed the active place limit, and we wouldn’t refund for past audio uploads. That would be a massive nightmare to keep track of and would destroy the virtual economy – it’s not feasible to do.

I don’t see why anyone should be outraged, but I guess it’s fine if they do. If anyone sees a good change and gets mad instead because of an issue with no solution, we can just tune them out like all of the other unreasonable requests (free robux, etc)

1 Like

There reasonably should be a grace period or warning or something though. Like, think about if people spend money one day on uploading audio, and the very next it becomes free.

1 Like

I doubt it would take more processing power. Roblox already has (something similar to) a hash set for hashes of content uploaded to roblox - that’s why duplicate shirts are auto accepted or auto declined

All it would take is to change it from a hash set to a hash table with the value being the asset id of the 1st audio uploaded

(Tbh would be nice if roblox just forbade uploading already existing content and instead prompted u with a link to the original assset)

2 Likes