Allow us to create our own procedural meshes (with triangles)

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to efficiently create complex shapes without creating unnecessary triangles. For example, if I want to create a curved surface made up of lots of triangles, (which are in turn made up of wedges), and I need 240 triangles to make up a complex path segment, I need 480 wedges. Each wedge is made up of 10 triangles, and that means there will be 4800 triangles, which is 20x more triangles than if I could just define them via a script!

Example:

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I could procedurally create custom meshes and shapes which are performant and good looking, when compared to using base parts.

Alongside this, for each triangle, materials and other maps (normals, depth, colour) could be applied too.
I cannot create these meshes in dedicated applications such as blender, as I need to create them procedurally, which I can’t do beforehand.

I was thinking it could be something like what unity does.

This would open a whole new world of opportunities, and allow Roblox to seriously compete in graphical fidelity against other engines.

16 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: API to create and modify meshes during runtime

This seems to duplicate the same request/issue as posed in

1 Like