Allow us to DISABLE calling completely

I’m not going to bother with the template.

We need an option to shut off calling. It’s being abused to hell and back and I don’t want it. It’s incredibly annoying and has caused me to uninstall the app. Roblox is a game, not a social app. Let me disable it.

Added completely to the title. I know Android has the option to disable calls, but I want it to tell people I don’t want calls. For now we 100% need an instant patch to get rid of the annoying calls.

67 Likes

This feature doesn’t exist in iOS but does in Android. This is a major oversight.

87% of US teens use iOS, this was not an ideal release.

20 Likes

This brings up an additional issue where temporarily banned users (unsure about permanent) can receive calls as long as the account receiving the calls was logged in on mobile prior to its ban.
Even if the option to disable calls was added, the option to do so while unable to access account settings could still be a problem. I think a greater solution to all of this would be to add a disable call function as well as disabling calls by default until enabled by the user themselves.

13 Likes

Just deleted the app due to spam. It’s literally a system level call on by default.

12 Likes

What options does a user have to disable or not continue with a call?

Roblox Connect enables users to connect and communicate with their friends. In the meanwhile, if a user does not want to receive a call, you can unfriend or block a contact directly from the phone book or from your friend’s list on Roblox.

In addition, on Android, you can go to your notification settings for Roblox and you have the option to turn off call notifications.

Source: https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/20918814627988/#h_01HF86A1R95QFR4NGB2HH4MBH8

@Roblox_HaruHaru We need an in-Roblox way of disabling this calling feature. (not blocking people) Why not have something in the Communication settings under the Privacy tab?

11 Likes

As a user who is not interested in making calls and receiving calls, I full on support this suggestion.

The current solution mentioned above provides a poor UX. To simply unfriend or block your friend just because they called you is a ridiculous idea in itself. That doesn’t reflect real life actions either (have you ever blocked your friends number if they called you for the first time?). This solution is targeted to users who friend random players in a server without speaking at all and then end up being spam called by one of them. It requires unlikely user interaction. The rest is also ridiculousness as it leaves out iOS users.

Ultimately, a setting to disable this feature is needed. It would be in your best interest to add it to the Roblox Notification Settings or Privacy Settings, as Roblox users generally first attempt to alter their Roblox settings through their Roblox settings page. I never had to use my device’s settings to change a Roblox setting.

10 Likes

I know right? Logged on to forums for first time in like 4 years just to complain. I don’t understand the point in turning Roblox into a social platform, and I don’t want to participate in this sort of stuff. I guess sure, more features for people who want something like that. But still, its wild they provide some roundabout and very band-aid way of ‘fixing’ it instead of giving an in-app option to disable it.

11 Likes

I agree that you should be able to choose who can call you in the privacy settings. Friends or No One being the only options would be nice; just like Roblox’s text chat system, outside of playing an experience, can turn it off. On the other end; it can also grey out users who do not want calls or just tell the user that their setting is set to No One and should be changed to use the feature.

As someone who would never use the call system on Roblox since there are just hundreds of better alternatives and I am exclusively a PC player within a few exceptions; I do not find this useful at all and just an annoyance. I mainly only use mobile for changing avatars, reading messages, or a few other things while mid-game so I can keep an eye on the game.

Calling is just a useless feature as you could technically just go onto a game designed exactly for that. If someone really wants to call you with that game; invites are the solution.

Quick edit: How do you even do it anyway? I have only gotten notifications for it and don’t actually know how to call others.

8 Likes

You have to join a specific Roblox created game which is promoted absolutely nowhere.

2 Likes

Check this announcement out, it should have details.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, @darkpixlz and @0Tenth. It turns out that it is even more useless than I thought :confused:

This message sums it all up:

3 Likes

I’m curious about the reasoning Roblox has for not including a privacy toggle for this feature.

I can control privacy in tiers for every other aspect of social interaction. Why not this one?

As of now the only way I have to avoid these calls is to turn off voice and camera completely.

Is this phone call thing tied to that such that there is not a way to differentiate permissions between in-game vc/camera and phone call vc/cam?

Until some technical explanation is offered that makes sense this will continue to go down in flames I think.

Turning off call notifications and/or blocking other players is not the same thing as disabling the phone calls. Neither of those suffice as solutions when the issue is wanting to disable the feature itself.

It is a little alarming that a feature as invasive as unsolicited phone calls is a feature that cannot be opted out of or controlled with privacy tiers.

Is there a technical reason for this?

1 Like

Want my guess? Just PR and to look good to investors. “80% of our platform has shut this off” looks a lot worse than “30% of users verified are using it”. I’m incredibly sick of Roblox’s attempts to look good to investors because it’s always at the expense of developers or players. It always makes everybody angry or is a huge waste of resources. Congrats Roblox, you’ve wasted resources and made everybody mad with this.

1 Like

We need this before Roblox Connects even becomes an app feature. I can bother my friend and my friend can bother me. The call even pops up when you’re in-game or off Roblox. Just imagine you’re carrying a phone in school and you forgot to silence it only for someone from Roblox to abuse the call feature you and it sounds out your ringtone (nightmare), unless you had your VC off.

1 Like

Still not pleased as to how this is being completely ignored. I’m not sure why such a basic feature is still being ignored.

1 Like

I suggest making a poll as a petition, many more uses will vote then those commenting, this will increase your support, and if u get enough votes, ROBLOX will notice.