Allow us to preview how classic clothing will look like before uploading

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to know how classic clothing will look like before uploading it to the platform.

Previewing how classic clothing will look by uploading the file on a dummy in Roblox Studio fills up inventory space (because it makes your file into a decal and puts it in your inventory). And with that, your image could be moderated, even when you did not intend to upload anything.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it will remove the process of guessing and checking with fingers crossed.

Below is a concept image of the page to upload clothing.
Just by choosing what file to upload, it loads it onto the dummy.
You can also try it on your avatar and view it in 3D.

31 Likes

I can vouch this, though there is plugin that lets you preview clothing without uploading it. Clothing Previewer - Roblox.

If you don’t wanna do all that, or you’re on mobile, there’s also 2 websites that I know of that you can use to preview clothing.
https://ingame.clothing

This is actually possible by going into studio, creating a dummy, inserting a Shirt or Pants instance, and just uploading the texture as a decal. You can test this with most body types.

Though it would be less complicated with a tool like this.

Doing that fills up your inventory.

Furthermore, the image could be moderated even when your only intent was to test how it looks rather than upload.

1 Like

I don’t see how it could be moderated, as nobody can just wear the decal on their avatar. The decals get moderated just like shirts and pants

Which means that by uploading the clothing template to a dummy, a decal is being created and could be moderated.

There should be a way to see how the template looks like WITHOUT any sort of upload.

I agree. I was just pointing out an already existing method, but I believe your idea is more convenient, as I stated here:

If this is something you really need, you can use Local File Importer as a temporary workaround. It lets you select file and even lets you apply it to a dummy.

1 Like

Couldnt it also be moderated when uploading the clothing though? Whats the difference?

By having the ability to preview it, it should show if it would be moderated or not.
It may take a few minutes to see if it is approved, but if the user wants to still upload, a pop-up message should say:
“Your template has not been approved yet. Are you sure you want to still upload?”

1 Like

That sounds like a feature that would be useful for other things not just clothing.

1 Like