Allow us to restrict specific devices from playing our games

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to restrict unsupported devices that I know the player is unable to use. Four options are nowhere near enough. I have a large game and I would like to only support devices that can actually run my game. Most lower-end mobiles crash instantly upon playing my game, whereas the latest models can play it just fine. I do not want to have to restrict an entire platform for the sake of older devices.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because my game would only be shown to players that can actually play it. This will prevent dislikes because I do not support a players device, and it will also help that player discover games that can support their device. If a player is constantly crashing on multiple games just because they don’t support their device, they may just uninstall Roblox and be done with it.

If Roblox does not want us to select through specific devices, they already track device memory in the studio emulator. This could be incorporated into the access panel of our games so that we can set a threshold of how much memory our game will take and from there choose if we want to restrict lower-end devices. Another alternative would be for a setting where Roblox will automatically restrict our games for these devices. This would have to be amended for the sponsor/advertisement system so that these only show up for the right players.

[Couldn’t decide whether or not this was a website or engine feature, if a mod finds this incorrect please move it]

22 Likes

We automatically hide games from devices where they frequently crash. There’s more info here.

8 Likes