Allow Users to Try On Animations and Emotes Before Purchase

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to know if the animation or emote you’re about to buy from the catalog fits your character.

Accessories, faces, and many other catalog items have this really cool feature which allows you to try on items before purchasing. This way, you can check and see if that certain item will fit your current character.

However, you’re not able to try on animations or emotes, whether it be through the website catalog or through the avatar inspect menu.

The latter way of purchasing benefits the developer. 10% of Robux spent to buy anything through the avatar inspect menu goes to the game developer in which the item was purchased in. Being able to try on something before buying it would most likely increase the chance of a player buying said item. Therefore, this feature could potentially benefit developers.

I’d want to try on an item before buying it. That’s what could be the difference between me buying and not buying something from the catalog.

We’re currently able to preview what the animation/emote would look like on a gray, basic character but that’s not sufficient enough. What would it look like on me?

Catalog Heaven and many other games let you try on animations, sure, but you have to play a game to try on something, and that’s quite inconvenient. And as mentioned before, you’d want players to buy items through your game.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to make more informed choices on my purchase before spending the money, and developers may earn more revenue through avatar inspect menu revenue.

7 Likes

I’m not sure why this would be necessary, an animation is well… an animation?

I would like to contradict with:

• You get provided moving animations and to be quite honest it seems like unnecessary clutter on the page for its value. Not to mention you can see how the animations move and get a feel that way:
  • I would also like to state you’ll find very few people who buy an animation for a specific character, animations can be used for many times of characters: Elder Pose for elderly people for example can be applied to someone pretending to be a monster or a hunch back - most of the aesthetic comes from a players clothing choice anyway.
  • My final argument against this is also application, you cannot get a true feel for an animation pack when its split into its components (you can’t see shifts from idle to running for example) and so players would be better just getting a visual of them within a game instead.
3 Likes

I don’t see how clutter would be an option, there’s currently only one square icon on the bottom right corner. I would prefer being able to try on something over complaining that one button is “clutter.”

It’s also true that you can already see how to animations move, however it would be easier to visualize how it would fit on your character through trying on. You can get a “feel” for any item, but they added trying on anyways because often a “feel” was not enough.

If I’m buying something for my character, I try it on before buying it. My avatar has remained relatively consistent throughout it’s lifetime, and I don’t really have multiple outfits that I switch back and forth from. I’d buy an animation if it would fit my “main” character. I’d want it to fit my “classic,” “standard,” and “signature” look.
My consistent avatar would like to know whether a certain animation fits itself.

Of course animations can fit many outfits. So can many accessories, faces, etc. That’s why we try them on, to see if they fit a certain character. And I know people who do have multiple outfits, and buy specific items to fit their avatar.

This is also true for hats, gears, and literally anything else that allows you to try it on. Of course playing a game would give you a better visual, but it’s more convenient. They added it for a reason: So you wouldn’t have to play a game to see how it looks.

I’m currently on a Chromebook which doesn’t support Roblox. How am I supposed to play a game to try on an animation if I… can’t? It’s so much more convenient.

You have to admit, the try on feature is very useful.

TL;DR:

1. One more button isn’t clutter, and a “feel” often isn’t good enough,
  2. People have signature looks; They’d want to see if an item fits. Some users do have multiple outfits.
  3. Games are annoying just to quickly try on an item. It’s good for an in-depth look, but not efficient.
3 Likes